Repairing a tool.

Bone Head

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a cheap 6 1/4" tall by 2/38" 1/2" drive socket. And it's a mess. For someone with a mill capable, I need the 1 7/8" hex enlarged so the 1 7/8" nut will fit without fighting it. The 1/2" drive end will not accept my old 1/2" SK Wayne or any other 1/2" drive tool I own. I'd scrap it but it does make a decent seal driver.
I'm willing to pay including shipping both ways. Be aware I am retired on a very fixed income (cheap tightwad by necessity).

I have a cheap 6 1/4" tall by 2/38" 1/2" drive socket. And it's a mess. For someone with a mill capable, I need the 1 7/8" hex enlarged so the 1 7/8" nut will fit without fighting it. The 1/2" drive end will not accept my old 1/2" SK Wayne or any other 1/2" drive tool I own. I'd scrap it but it does make a decent seal driver.
I'm willing to pay including shipping both ways. Be aware I am retired on a very fixed income (cheap tightwad by necessity).
Pics showing the issue... edit: it's going to be a very high hardness... seems like a dremel and a stone might be better to fix it.

If it needs machining it needs machining, but before you send it off, get your micrometers out. Or your fingertips. (Or ignore me if you've already veried everything). If you're pressing with it (even gently on a cheapie), the ends tend to kind of roll over. Make sure that you're sure it needs adjustment, and not just a quick touch with a file.

The half inch drive "hole" should be 0.503 or 0.508 on a typical socket. The drive on a half inch drive tool could be up to 0.502. A 1-7/8 hex socket should measure across the flats 1.885 to 1.898 The 1-7/8 inch nut that you're hoping to drive should be 1.812 to 1.875.

I have modified quite a few inexpensive sockets and they have all been machinable with carbide tooling.

It seems strange that the socket won't fit either the nut or the 1/2" drive. If it has been used as a drive tool perhaps both surfaces are mushroomed and a file or Dremel as suggested above may clean things up. A socket isn't a precision device and any cleanup needn't be either.

If it comes to machining, maybe I could help. I've been making a lot of weird sockets lately. The commercial sockets I've tested are high 30s on the Rockewell C scale, whether chrome or impact. A little harder than commercial heat treat but well within the range of carbide. Worst case, I could anneal, machine, and harden.

Can you post some pictures?

Personally I would continue to use your current socket as a seal driver and buy a US made socket off of ebay. I think you would get much better results for less money.

Otherwise I would go after cleaning it up with a stone.

Yes, if you can share photos… for more clarity

Back