Resurfacing Old Milling Vise?

I would say yes. However, I've seen good milling machine vises go for $100 to $300 in much better shape. You may be better off replacing it unless you wanted the challenge (IMHO).

my first vice was like that( it was given to me). I filled all the holes with JB Weld and then filed it flat til a parallel would not rock then checked to see how level it was to bottom. It came out real nice and I just didn't abuse it. It lasted me years that way and is in fact still working good on my drill press.

If you have the time and energy, go for it. Otherwise I would suggest just buying a new/used good Wilton.

It's a brown and sharp. It's very tight and the bottom is flat still. I'd love to see this baby redone. How would I go about it? What would you guys do?

It's a brown and sharp. It's very tight and the bottom is flat still. I'd love to see this baby redone. How would I go about it? What would you guys do?
Just clean it up, Paint it and forget about those drill holes.
That old warrior has earned its scars.

well if i didn't need a flat surface i'd do that lol. ug maybe this is a lost cause. I really need a flat vise

If you have the time and energy, go for it. Otherwise I would suggest just buying a new/used good Wilton.
Wilton does not make milling vises, they only make drill press vises. A milling vise has much more mass, rigidity, and in some cases a precision instrument of it's own.

OP - I'd fill the craters with Devcon and surface grind or scrape the top flat. Just to keep chips out and your parallels from falling in. Clean up the bottom and the top of the jaws and it should be alright, that looks like a fine vise as long as the jaw doesn't have too much slop.

Wilton does not make milling vises, they only make drill press vises. A milling vise has much more mass, rigidity, and in some cases a precision instrument of it's own.

OP - I'd fill the craters with Devcon and surface grind or scrape the top flat. Just to keep chips out and your parallels from falling in. Clean up the bottom and the top of the jaws and it should be alright, that looks like a fine vise as long as the jaw doesn't have too much slop.

Oh yes... Wilton does make milling vises, got a lot of them on their web site, but they are really expensive. A small one runs around $280.

You still got a usable vise. I would fill it with "All metal" and file it smooth and flat. It wouldn't be as hard as the cast iron , but if you don't abuse it , it will last years.

Oh yes... Wilton does make milling vises, got a lot of them on their web site, but they are really expensive. A small one runs around $280.

You still got a usable vise. I would fill it with "All metal" and file it smooth and flat. It wouldn't be as hard as the cast iron , but if you don't abuse it , it will last years.

Oh I had no idea they made milling vises. I even googled it before I typed that and nothing immediate came up. I'll have to look them up (Again!), Thank you for the correction :)

Back