Revolver speed loader

Making a speed loader for a 500 magnum would be challenging to say the least. I look forward to your progress.

The first time I used a speed loader was during one of the many competitions I got involved in at my club.
They were quite clunky at first but I soon got comfortable with them.

The older I get the more I like revolvers and 1911's. The plastic guns just don't get me all warm and fuzzy. I do have a CZ Rami in 40 Cal. All steel pistol, no plastic.
I sure do miss my model 19, K frame, S&W 38 Special. It was my favorite revolver. My dad had a Ruger Black Hawk in 45 Colt. That was sweet too.
Great shooters.
I used to have a S&W 19 357mag. k frame, great gun a little light for the heavy recoil. I bought it with a 6 barrel change over to 8 inch. That reduced the kick. I had a carry permit for it while prospecting, which is very rare here in Canada. I eventually got rid of it as the government kept upping the amount of paper work required every year to keep the permit. Here in Canada a handgun is considered a restricted weapon which is controlled by the federal government. The provincial government only controls the hunting regulations. Handguns are not allowed for hunting anywhere in Canada as far as I know. The new law ( believe its in force now) concerning handguns is you can't buy one. If you have one you cant sell or give it way, can't even pass it down thru your estate.
I think there are some exceptions for competition shooting, and if your occupation meets certain requirements.

Anyone got a broken one they want to sell?

I need to get a good look at the release stem to see how it holds the round.

Last edited:
Well thanks for the input guys

I've got some ideas, but today I've got to work on a ar22 that needs just a tad more firing pin protrussion, it's at a negative right now....so I'm thinking .004-.005"

Mike, I have a single revolver speedloader like most cops used to carry before switching to autos. It's in a box at the back of the stack on top of my safe at home. I'll dig it out for you tonight if I don't forget :rolleyes:.

The cartridges are retained by the rim. The "star" that ejects the shells on your double-action revolver looks just like the star that rotates and locks against the cartridge body, under the rim. If you machine the body with the bores spaced to fit your revolver, you're almost there. Then there's the shaft, the lock detent, and the retaining star. Not many parts to make.

Ok guys this is it for today. Gotta start thinking about the top insides of the loader, find a piece if alum for it and thinking about how it will all come together. I'd say the easy part is behind me....We'll see how it goes.20230503_121826.jpg20230503_121826.jpg

Well I'm pushing ahead, as I said I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'm on my 3rd. take of the stem. I've think I've now got it figured out. So now I take my time and move on with the stem.20230504_110238.jpg

Back