RF 30/31 X Lead Screw/Nut Replacement

G_Man

Registered
Registered
I've looked and searched the forum for info on replacing the RF 30/31 X Axis Lead Screw and Nut, either with OEM replacement or DIY replacement and haven't found a "WALK ME THROUGH THIS" post as of yet. I've seen "BALL SCREW" replacements mentioned but no real info to help a newbie get through this task. I welcome all feedback on the RF 30/31 X Axis Lead Screw replacement that you'd like to share as my backlash days are numbered so I need to start addressing my slop issues A.S.A.P.

Thank you,
Gary

Kind of interested in this myself. My RF was already converted to ball screw when I bought it, though I have only manual use in mind. Be good to have a better understanding of the tradeoffs and parts involved.

Kind of interested in this myself. My RF was already converted to ball screw when I bought it, though I have only manual use in mind. Be good to have a better understanding of the tradeoffs and parts involved.
I've read that machines with Ball Screws tend to grab when milling due to little to no resistance on the axis being used, have you had that problem?

How much backlash do you have? Then others may tell you if it the normal amount to have so changing it out wouldn’t help.

Mine is a “CNC Junior” CNC conversion from the start so ball screws on mine.

The brass nut would be the part that wears do you would look to find only that, the screw should be ok. (Unless you have seen the screw is not ok)

How much backlash do you have? Then others may tell you if it the normal amount to have so changing it out wouldn’t help.

Mine is a “CNC Junior” CNC conversion from the start so ball screws on mine.

The brass nut would be the part that wears do you would look to find only that, the screw should be ok. (Unless you have seen the screw is not ok)
I still have the OEM Lead Screw and the slop is getting out of hand. Since the adjuster nut can't be bought as a spare part I'm looking for options on X Axis

That was a step by step guide to change that lead screw. If it won’t come up search “RF 30 mill nut”

Then that article is found under the Homemadetools.net site.

To determine the amount of wear on the lead screw and on the nut, do this. Measure the backlash on the lead screw at the most used position, usually around the center of travel. Measure the backlash at either end of travel. The latter positions are seldom if ever accessed. Th later will be due exclusively to wear in the nut while the former will be due to wear in both the lead screw and the nut.

To measure backlash with a DRO, I set a zero and approach the zero DRO reading from both directions, noting the dial reading s where the DRO reads zero. Without a DRO, the same can be done with a dial test indicator .

Sorry! That write up was for the Y axis. I found that with quick search of google

Back