RF 30/31 X Lead Screw/Nut Replacement

There may be some room left to tighten your lead screw up (as it is, no modification) and it may be all you need for now. That Y article goes over it.

There may be some room left to tighten your lead screw up (as it is, no modification) and it may be all you need for now. That Y article goes over it.
Got it, thanks again. As soon as the weather warms up a bit, I'll dig into it.

My Grizzly G1006-1007 (RF 30-31) now has .032 backlash in X travel at both ends & middle of the travel.
this leads me to believe that all wear is in the adj. nut.
It appears I’ve adjusted the nut all I can, without breaking it.
To adjust mine it takes a 4mm allan in a socket (in photo) with a long extension.
The photo shows a new nut I bought from Grizzly a yr or 2 ago, they had it in stock.
my mill is a 2004 model, so your nut may be different.
I’ve been putting off installing it, as it still works fine as long as you‘re aware of the backlash.
My motto is “if it works, don’t fix it”, but the time is coming.
if Mikey was still with us, I’m sure he could tell us the easy way to replace it.
RIP Mikey, you are missed.

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpeg
    IMG_1201.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 10
My Grizzly G1006-1007 (RF 30-31) now has .032 backlash in X travel at both ends & middle of the travel.
this leads me to believe that all wear is in the adj. nut.
It appears I’ve adjusted the nut all I can, without breaking it.
To adjust mine it takes a 4mm allan in a socket (in photo) with a long extension.
The photo shows a new nut I bought from Grizzly a yr or 2 ago, they had it in stock.
my mill is a 2004 model, so your nut may be different.
I’ve been putting off installing it, as it still works fine as long as you‘re aware of the backlash.
My motto is “if it works, don’t fix it”, but the time is coming.
if Mikey was still with us, I’m sure he could tell us the easy way to replace it.
RIP Mikey, you are missed.
Bought mine back in the early 80's. You were very luck to obtain the nut when you did. Yeah, I'm still limping along still using the mill but the backlash can only get worse over time so that's why I'm trying to come up with a plan now. Only thing saving me now is having a DRO on X & Y. Thanks for sharing.

I've read that machines with Ball Screws tend to grab when milling due to little to no resistance on the axis being used, have you had that problem?
Donno – I'm still in the cleaning & rebuilding process. If it does, I'll put the OEM leadscrew back in. It came with all the original parts.

The Jet JMD18-223 appears to be the same nut unless the thread pitch is different.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Looked at the pic closer and see the nut is 23.5mm. The Jet part i was looking at is a 23.7 that is closer to the 15/16 that the parts list says it is. But I measured my lead screw and its 23.5mm

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back