Rivet setting tool dimensions

I ended up making 3 different radius tip trepanning tools to make various anvils and one 95 degree punch.

KIMG2127.JPG

I did some more practice rivets, all start with the cinch height that the rivet extends out of plate at about 0.145". I Started the process with a 95 degree center punch, then rolled the edge with one of the formed anvils.
KIMG2111 (1).jpgKIMG2114.jpgKIMG2115.jpg

I was running out of practice rivets so decided to start on the winch. I made a flat anvil with posts that reach up into the pad a support the rivet head so the pad is held up, set the clutch pad with rivets on it then the clutch plate.
KIMG2118.jpgKIMG2119.jpg
KIMG2121.JPG

Each rivet was first hit with the center punch to spread it out than use the anvils to shape the head
KIMG2123.JPG
The first rivet I did with the original rivets that came with the pads is second from the bottom, stuck up 0.22 inches above the plate and looked pretty bad. This is what started me down the path of trying to make a better anvil and correct rivet length. I cut each rivet 0.07 shorter and drilled the holes 0.25 deep (based on dimensions from the rivet mfg web site). The resulting rivets look better but the pads were not super tight to the plate ( I have no idea why) so I flipped it over, supported the new rivet heads on a flat anvil and pounded on the head inside the pad with a flat punch until each end of each clutch pad felt tight.
KIMG2125.JPG

In the end, l think l would of been better off buying the proper tool. I suspect there is some practice require to get good at riveting which would be easier if I knew the proper tools. But it's done now and will probably outlive me. The original clutch plates are 23 years old.
There are lots of tools out there with the search terms "brake rivet tool", some use a hammer, some a screw, then there are hydraulic ones...

Attachments

• KIMG2119.JPG
    KIMG2119.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 2
Glad that you got it done. I have done some airframe riveting, aircraft components, brake and clutch pads for unavailable parts. On A lot of the older equipment brake linings were all that were available, so that is what we did. I should still have some of the instructions in storage that I have not been into in years. I am a bit of a packrat.
Thanks for sharing!

Back