Round Rod holding

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I was gonna make a set of soft jaws for holding round rod in my Kurt. After some thought I decided it was too much work to make a set of jaws that wouldn't get used that often & would be extra work swapping them out so I came up with this solution tonight when I needed to alter some bolts for T slots in my gantry.

I milled out a section that would fit into the opening in the base of my vice so it would be fixed and work could be easily repeatable. Then I milled in several Vs both horizontal & vertical to hold several different sizes of round stock. I used it to make 8 of these bolts. It was 3 operations.

DSC00542.JPG DSC00544.JPG DSC00545.JPG DSC00546.JPG DSC00547.JPG

I milled out a section that would fit into the opening in the base of my vice so it would be fixed and work could be easily repeatable. Then I milled in several Vs both horizontal & vertical to hold several different sizes of round stock...........

Nice tool Charley. I like the fingers that locate the tool from side to side.

Benny

Nice tool Charley. I like the fingers that locate the tool from side to side.

Benny

Thanks, I did that so I could do several piece runs with accuracy. I'm gonna put a pretty large V on the other side both horizontal and vertical for pipe/tubing & larger solid rod. I think I may do some soft jaw sets the same way, I think as long as they get tapped in with a mallet when tightening they should be fairly accurate.

I wouldn't say that, Charley. I'm betting that several members are making plans to do something just like it, or based on your idea.

I guess this wasn't that interesting or impressive:nuts::whistle::headscratch:
You know what Charley, I hit the new posts button all the time when I'm here and for some reason, this thread never showed up. Besides, I was out all day yesterday. I've been wanting to do something like this, and I didn't want to remove the jaws on my vice everytime I wanted to hold something round. This is perfect. I need a chunk of aluminum!:))

You know what Charley, I hit the new posts button all the time when I'm here and for some reason, this thread never showed up. Besides, I was out all day yesterday. I've been wanting to do something like this, and I didn't want to remove the jaws on my vice everytime I wanted to hold something round. This is perfect. I need a chunk of aluminum!:))

Thanks , I'm gonna make several more fixtures/jigs this way, speeds up the setup & if you have a job in the mill & need to do a quick last minute job switchover time is quick. I had several jigs/fixtures like this when in the cabinet making biz that really made life easier.

I'm hoping to do something like that soon. I can't use your indexing fingers because the Yamatokoki 7 1/2" vise doesn't have any opening in the middle. The 4" vise can be done that way. I'm going to need a couple of large aluminum blocks.

Back