Round Work, V Blocks and Parallels

I'm going to try the two v blocks on Monday. I can't see how this will not work.
Thank you all.

That bring up a very good point. Whenever I have to hold a thin piece of material in a lathe chuck or vise I turn a wood dowel to snugly fit inside and boost the crush yield strength. Still can't wrench on the chuck key, but it helps.

This was a rolled piece of sheet metal from a friends factory-flawed Daisy 8888 front sight. With the wood plug it didn't crush in the 4 jaw and allowed me to shorten it with ease.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah150/andregross3127/182_zpsa402765b.jpg

Tubing is just tricky anyway. I do like your use of a dowel rod to strengthen the tubing.

If you use a V block with a clamp be sure if it doesn't have a swivel foot to use a piece of aluminum or copper between the bottom of the clamp screw and the part so not to mar the finish of the shaft. I do the same thing for lathe dogs

I would use only 1 v-block in the vice. I am by no means an expert, just what I've seen done by some good machinists on YouTube. I had to mill a circular object the other day. One v-block worked well for me in a horizontal mill.

Mike

I would use only 1 v-block in the vice. I am by no means an expert, just what I've seen done by some good machinists on YouTube. I had to mill a circular object the other day. One v-block worked well for me in a horizontal mill.

Mike

For a solid object one would be fine, but for thinner tubing you really want 4 POC not just 3; a reason 6 jaw lathe chucks are nice. Spreads the load and helps prevent crush.
The object OP is working on has fairly thick walls so it's probably fine with a single block, or even just sitting on parallels. (By the looks of things anyway)

Gotta get one of those self centering V jaw vises like Keith Rucker has! :)

what is the self centering v jaw chuck?
I think its the vices where the moving jaw can pivit for non square woork pieces, they often have some vee shaped lines horizontaly and verticaly for holding smaller diamitors of round stuff.

Stuart

Back