Russian & Chinese Involute Gear Cutters On Ebay

omni_dilletante

somewhat active
Registered
Short Question:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of the Chinese or Russian involute gear cutting sets we see on ebay?

For example M1.25 PA20 $59.78 or DP16 PA14.5 $129.69

More Details:

I am looking to cut some gears. The first project will use DP16 & DP20, or M1.5 & M1.25 gears.

Searching for individual cutters on eBay is pretty time consuming as sellers do not follow a consistent description format and searching is hit and miss.

There are a number of cutter sets that are attractively priced from China and Russia. I have searched the forum to see if anyone has reported their experience with these and could only find one comment that the teeth were not concentric with the bore.

I know the high road is to purchase american made cutters, but I don't have the budget for that.​

Russian machine tools are generally high quality. They were using carbide and diamond tooling long before we were in the West and were quite advanced in their metallurgy. I wouldn't hesitate if the cutters are genuine Russian.

Paul.

Most of mine are B&S but I have a couple of Chinese cutters. They cut fine worst thing is they are not marked or stamped. So keeping them identified is a pain. Not sure if they all are like that but mine had no markings.

Yes, check my avitar. I made change gears for my spiral milling unit (1.5 module). The 4 cutters identified for the range of teeth I cut (24 up to 105) cost about $70CAD delivered (took about 10 days to arrive).

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...g-and-boring-machine-mh600.30766/#post-313945

I cut 1507 teeth in all (probably over 1000 teeth with the last cutter). The material was 1018 for the smaller gears and repurposed 4140 / 4340 for the larger gears. No issues with the cutters at all. My set up was pretty sturdy and I did not push the cutting speed. I did not use coolant (couple drops of Tapmagic on for each tooth). I did each tooth in a single pass.

The biggest issue was the bore size (20 mm). My arbors are 5/8", 7/8" & 1". I made up a drive sleeve for the 5/8" (using small stubs of dowel pin for the drive keys).

I don't know if the teeth were perfectly concentric with the bore. You could certainly hear from the cut that there was some variation. However, with a decent feedrate, all teeth were taking some material. Was my adapter sleeve perfect, was my arbor & drive arrangement perfect, .... ? It worked out great.

What are you building?

This is an interesting topic for me. There was a set of "Russian" gear cutters for sale at a good price on Ebay a while ago that I almost grabbed. They would ship from the Ukraine.
They where marked "USSR," and the other letters were Roman as well, which scared me off. I would have expected anything Soviet to be written in Cyrillic and be tagged "CCP."
Probably just my ignorance about European import/export rules from back then though.

My lathe has some eccentric running gears, and I expect I will have to make my own replacements.

Thank you for the information.

I have ordered a set of cutters. I will update the thread when I get a chance to use them.

Ya, John is maybe my favorite to watch. His video on making the adaptor for the big boring head is possibly one of the finest examples of doing precision work on machines that are not able to do precision work. He gets more out of those machines than many people with high end machines do.

this is slightly off topic, but i have purchased a few Russian straightedges and measuring devices from the retailer on Ebay that shipped from the Ukraine
http://www.ebay.com/usr/ti.tools?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
i thought there may be some type of problem getting stuff from Russia, so i only made a small purchase the first time.
I was pleasantly surprised how quickly i rec'd the shipment and the high quality of the Russian made stuff.
i made 2 other purchases since and could not be happier with the price, the shipping, and the quality of their products.
i have no connection with TI Tools, just a very happy customer with good stuff to say about them.

all that being said,
i did make my purchases before the recent conflicts in the Ukraine.
i can only speculate how this may or may not affect present or future shipments,
ebay will give you your money back if the shipment fails to reach you

Back