Russian/Soviet Straight Edges?

I was reluctant to "say it out loud" but checking against the ammo that you intend to use is absolutely a viable option on a .22 RF.

I was surprised at the headspace gauges for belted magnums when I first got one. One size fits all for all of the cartridges based on the .375 H&H Magnum case. It's not a lot longer than the distance from the head to just past the belt. It's not much different from rimfire headspacing.

Pontiac,
I ordered a chamber reamer from Ukraine. I suspect it'll give Euro dimensions (match size?), which might be tighter than American general purpose size. After making the chamber I'll check it against a variety of Amer. ammo, like you said.

Here is a table of the Euro vs. US min/max dimensions so you know where you'll fit. I think with a single shot, you will be able to chamber just about anything, really. It's the tuned up autoloaders that are picky. I find Rem and Aguila to fit tight chambers better than CCI and Federal, for what it's worth. Extra info never hurts.

images (3).jpg

David,
Yes, using cartridges as go/no go gauges saves me some $. It's not an Olympic match rifle, and slightly less power than H&H magnums!

Pontiac,
Thanks. Good to know about Aguila, they've got some specialty .22 ammo I'd like to try. Some super quiet rounds, and massive 60 grain 22 rounds. CCI also has some, esp. the sub-sonic rounds.

Back