Safe edge files

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
I have tons of files, sadly NONE of safe edges. I was thinking (or read here somewhere) that "Lathe files" always have one or 2 safe edges. I bought NOS Nicholson 14" LATHE file....got it today, no safe edges. What do I search for to get a 12-14" safe edge file? Bastard ideally, but I have some wiggle room on coarseness. I have searched TONS for files with safe edges, I found ONE and it was over $100! As MOST pictures are straight on from the wide side, I can confirm nothing from the pictures.
I feel like I'm probably not the only one here that has run into this situation, there has to me an easier way? I really am trying to avoid the import stuff, especially pacific rim, so new is less of an option.
Thanks fellas!

My Pferd long angle lathe files have safe edges on both sides.

When I needed a safe edge file I just made mine own as suggested. And I just used a little 4x6 belt sander.

This is on Graingers US site.

Martin

Rectangular files abrade material from level surfaces and linear edges. Also known as flat files, their two flat faces offer a wide area of contact to debur, shape, and smooth workpieces.
Rectangular files abrade material from level surfaces and linear edges. Also known as flat files, their two flat faces offer a wide area of contact to debur, shape, and smooth workpieces.

• Tapered Single-Cut Rectangular Files image
    Tapered Single-Cut Rectangular Files

Tapered Single-Cut Rectangular Files​

Tapered Single-Cut Rectangular Files

Single-cut teeth on both faces of these tapered, rectangular files run in diagonal rows and one direction to sharpen edges and produce smooth surface finishes. Tapered files get steadily narrower from the heel to the point for filing in wider or narrower bands.

Lathe File - Safe Edges to protect shoulder​

Bastard Cut​

Tapered Single-Cut Rectangular Files Lathe File - Safe Edges to protect shoulder Bastard Cut, sorted by File Length without Tang, ascending
File Length without TangFile WidthThicknessIncludes HandleFile Body FinishBrandPrice
10 in1 in15/64 inNoNaturalWESTWARD$14.24
12 in1-3/16 in1/4 inNoNaturalWESTWARD$24.50
14 in1-7/16 in9/32 inNoNaturalWESTWARD$32.48
14 in1-3/8 in1/8 inNoNaturalNICHOLSON$40.60
14 in1-5/16 in15/32 inNoNaturalNICHOLSON$22.98
12 in1-3/16 in17/64 inNoNaturalWESTWARD$18.42
10 in1 in19/32 inNoNaturalNICHOLSON$24.34
12 in1-1/8 in1/8 inNoNaturalNICHOLSON$39.92
10 in1 in11/64 inNoNaturalSIMONDS$18.63
12 in1-3/16 in7/32 inNoNaturalSIMONDS$26.47

I use a belt sander with a wide platen to make the edges safe.

Another tip is to buy a large 14 inch smooth cut file, cut the tang off and cut it in half with a cut off wheel or abrasive saw, and safe the edges. You now have two files that are perfect for draw filing. One I use with gloves, another I have made some small wooden hot dogs with a slot in one edge and epoxied them on.

eBay has bunches of new pillar files $10 - $15 including s/h.

Back