Safely Move A Half Ton Mill

Like youy say it is ugly but it is solid and that is most of all what is needed. good luck with your mill.

hmmm, 3M adhesive on cinder blocks... Had never thought of that. That'll take care any vibration running through the blocks.
Gonna have to research the water resistance properties of it for something here at the house.

I was under the impression that blocks weren't very strong when placed on their side.wonder if their was any vibration if it could cause cracks to start . I'm sure josh already did some research and decided it would be alright. I'm bad at over thinking things some times.
Thanks ron

I was under the impression that blocks weren't very strong when placed on their side.wonder if their was any vibration if it could cause cracks to start .
They are weaker on their sides but in this case the load is well within their capacity. Concrete doesn't fatigue.

Sorry to have to say this but you did not tie the mill down correctly.
The strap going over the mill only kept the mill from going up not from tilting sideways.
The danger is in the mill tipping over and not in it taking off and flying away.

Joshua can you please explain why you say never to use twisted rope for hoisting? Is it to do with the chances of fraying the rope on sharp corners?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Joshua can you please explain why you say never to use twisted rope for hoisting? Is it to do with the chances of fraying the rope on sharp corners?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Twisted rope has much higher friction when sliding, it can take double or more the tension to overcome the sticktion.
The same friction make it harder to rig tightly before hoisting.
Twisted rope frays much more easily, and it loses strength very rapidly once it starts to fray.
It is much harder to spot damage to a twisted rope.
Twisted rope requires a much larger bending radius.
Twisted unwinds when you put a load on it. The more it unwinds the weaker it gets, and the longer it gets.

It can be used. Sailors used twisted rope for hundreds of years on the high seas and lived to tell the tale. I would be amazed if anyone still uses it for sailing though.
Braided rope is better, webbing is best.

If you do use rope for rigging be aware that knots can reduce the strength by 50%.

To jh. Concrete and a block are 2 different things . Blocks are made with air retaking concrete to be as light as possible. Find a 50 year old block and compare it to a new one. Same size , big weight difference. I think vibration would weaken solid concrete over time, never mind a hollowed out rectangle made out of lite weight concrete.
Thanks ron

Back