Salvage End of Bridgeport Table Screw

Provincial

Registered
Registered
I have a serviceable screw on a Bridgeport Series 1 table that broke the right (free floating bearing) end off at the bearing fit. The broken part was lost before I got the machine. I'm going to splice a new end on the screw, and wonder if anyone has a worn-out screw with a good end they could cut off a couple of inches into the full diameter?

My plan is to face off the end of my screw at the bearing fit and bore a hole an inch into the end. I'd then turn the large end of the salvaged part to shrink into the bore and cross-pin it with a 1/8" roll pin as a backup.

I can build my new stub end from scratch, but would prefer to rework an end of a scrap screw that would otherwise end up as an imported piece of a China import.

Shipping would be to Dallas, OR 97338

Thanks for looking!

Jock

I have a serviceable screw on a Bridgeport Series 1 table that broke the right (free floating bearing) end off at the bearing fit. The broken part was lost before I got the machine. I'm going to splice a new end on the screw, and wonder if anyone has a worn-out screw with a good end they could cut off a couple of inches into the full diameter?

My plan is to face off the end of my screw at the bearing fit and bore a hole an inch into the end. I'd then turn the large end of the salvaged part to shrink into the bore and cross-pin it with a 1/8" roll pin as a backup.

I can build my new stub end from scratch, but would prefer to rework an end of a scrap screw that would otherwise end up as an imported piece of a China import.

Shipping would be to Dallas, OR 97338

Thanks for looking!

Jock
PM me if you have one that will work.

Thanks,

Jock

Provencial,
Did you find the part you need?
I've got a misc crate of BP parts, and I even know where it is! There are some leadscrews and associated parts in the mix.

Daryl
MN

Provencial,
Did you find the part you need?
I've got a misc crate of BP parts, and I even know where it is! There are some leadscrews and associated parts in the mix.

Daryl
MN
Not yet. It is a back-burner project, so I am pretty patient. The old screw is usable, except for snapping off just where it becomes the bearing fit. There is plenty of wear on the table/saddle surfaces, so I'd rather not buy a new screw. I think the money would be better spent on a DRO.

Thanks for offering to look. Whenever you stumble onto the crate, that's fine!

Please send a pic of what you are looking for even if broken. Include If there are any additional parts needed.
That way when I'm digging in the crate I can just pluck it/them out.

Daryl

Is this what you are looking for?
No, bone handles, dials, leadscrews, functional J head, J head parts, other?
I really should get all this stuff listed for sale somewhere....

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• 20230219_135156.jpg
    20230219_135156.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230219_135216.jpg
    20230219_135216.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 3
Back