Save this one from the knackers!

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'll start by mentioning that, this being a woodworking tool, it's a bit off-topic for machinists. But I got Tony Wells' OK to post it here.

== == == == == == == == == == ==

One of my neighbors in Tempe, AZ is planning to dispose of a classic “heavy iron” Delta/Rockwell jigsaw and stand. Check out the 24" throat depth! Overall, it seems to be in pretty good shape, but is missing a motor. When I asked him what he’d want for it, the basic reply was more than he could get for it as scrap iron.

Unfortunately, I have neither the space nor the need for any kind of jigsaw, but definitely think this one would be more worthwhile to somebody as a restoration project than as scrap. I’m hoping somebody here might be interested.

Bill’s email address is bilede at cox dot net

Please deal with him directly. I have no financial interest in this, just hate to see it go to waste.

HPIM3083k.jpgHPIM3084k.jpgHPIM3085k.jpgHPIM3086k.jpg

HPIM3083k.jpg HPIM3084k.jpg HPIM3085k.jpg HPIM3086k.jpg

Before to be a woodworking tool is a machine, and a nice one, which deserve some respect.
I hope someone will foster her!

I wish it were closer to me. I'd save it, for sure!

These are nice machines. For reference the 1983 Rockwell list price was $906.00 without a motor. (That would be about $2,127 in 2014 dollars) They can also cut thin metal with the right blade. One of these saws was the first power tool my Dad ever let me use, I still have it!

I've cut aluminum with woodworking tools, including a scroll saw (I tried steel, but the teeth came off the blade quite readily :)). That sure does look an awful lot like a die filer, and I would think that converting it wouldn't be all that hard, if a fellow were looking for one.

... for those of you wondering about the stand ...

Here are a couple of shots I just took. Bill was not home, and I didn't want to move the other stuff out of the way without checking with him. But this should give you a pretty good idea of how the stand looks.

HPIM3087k.jpgHPIM3088k.jpg

HPIM3087k.jpg HPIM3088k.jpg

I have one that I used the frame to make a planishing hammer, I would imagine one could make a die filer out one also, definitely worth saving.

I have one of those jigsaws. However,I will warn you that they have a very weak pot metal part that is in the base. It makes the blade go up and down. It very often is broken.

A young friend of mine bought one which was broken in that way. Delta wanted,I think, $275.00 for that part,as it was called a "Historic part". That was ridiculous. I helped him make a replacement part out of steel,which will never wear out. The part isn't that hard to make.

Before using the machine for a die filer,be aware of the possibility that this part may not take the strain for long. Personally,I consider the whole mechanism in the base to be too light for any kind of heavy use. I'd just use it as a jigsaw for light work.

It IS a lot better than those "walking beam" type jigsaws that proliferate the market these days. Their blades move a bit in and out as well as up and down. This "sands" the edges of the cut,which is very inconvenient. The Delta just goes straight up and down(If you put the blade in straight vertically!) I had a very expensive Hegner with variable speed that I sold in order to get my Delta. If it breaks,I can fix it. Oh,and the Hegner was a real pain to change the blade,and in jigsaw work,it is necessary to often do that when making multiple piercings.

I have an earlier (I assume, it has round tube construction) Delta 700. Simple, sturdy saw. I may restore it one day.

Back