SB Heavy 10 CL187A Just getting started

I want to finish posting the pictures of all of the stuff. Please feel free to comment and give me any advice on what you see!

As far as I know the C5 collets are one of the more expensive items included with the lathe. I do like that I got the rotating/indexing collet holder. That'll make it easier to clamp stuff in my drill press for holes and such. Eventually I'll get a mill but I'll probably be able to get buy for awhile.

1/16"-1" in 1/32" increments. Is there supposed to be a 1/32" collet...and does this lathe support anything larger than 1"?

IMG_20140404_182820_139[1].jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your lucky find,I say you did very well.If it was me I would ask the owner about the lathe and see if he knows of any problems,if he would recommend anything that should be done before you put it to work.Just to do a good cleaning is alot of work in itself so how far do you go is up to you and if you can wait that long.If he says "put it to work"then do so if your happy with the way it looks.
I should say congrats to both you and the seller,fair price and you don't have to wait or look any longer----kroll

Kroll, The seller is the son of the former owner of this lathe. His dad died about 2 years ago and it sounds like the son knew a bit about the lathe but didn't really work much on it. I think there was a mill that he sold and it's possible that a few small things from the lathe got included with the sale of the mill.

Not aware of any issues with the machine. It was used up to the end of this man's life. He made a lot of stuff if the cutting bits are any indication. Saw a few model ships he made and he did good work. So, the machine had consistent use, but not heavy use for a long time. I also think he bought the lathe used in the early 60s. Although it's gunked up a bit everything slides well and most of the oil cups still had oil in them. Not too much significant rust on anything either.

The seller knew that the price was about half what he could have gotten for the lathe and the tooling. He had a lot of interested buyers but he liked my story. It also ends up that I worked with a few guys who go to his church. I guess that helps although he didn't know it at the time. He did know that I'd retired from the Army Field Band, so he was aware of that connection. Like so many other things people are often willing to give things away as long as they know it goes to a good home.

IMG_20140404_182820_139[1].jpg

Dang you pick up some goodies with the lathe and it helps when theres a connection,like you said knowing its going to a good home.Check this out when you have time,Woodtickgreg did an awesome job on restoring his which is just like yours.Checking out what he did,you will be able to clearly see what is involved(lot of work)but its part of the fun.http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=7459
kroll

I got a really amazing assortment of cutting bits. It'll be interesting to see how many I can use without any sharpening. There are also a number of brackets and other assorted things that I can't yet identify. This will be all of the "before" stuff. Then we'll see how long it takes me to get it running
real nice.

IMG_20140404_182617_979[1].jpgIMG_20140404_182630_130[1].jpgIMG_20140404_182957_310[1].jpgIMG_20140404_183119_794[1].jpgIMG_20140404_183129_861[1].jpgIMG_20140404_183209_309[1].jpgIMG_20140404_183153_433[1].jpgIMG_20140404_183229_882[1].jpgIMG_20140404_182630_130[1].jpg

IMG_20140404_182617_979[1].jpg IMG_20140404_182630_130[1].jpg IMG_20140404_182957_310[1].jpg IMG_20140404_183119_794[1].jpg IMG_20140404_183129_861[1].jpg IMG_20140404_183209_309[1].jpg IMG_20140404_183153_433[1].jpg IMG_20140404_183229_882[1].jpg

Sure looks like a great deal all around. A great machine and lots of tooling without breaking the bank and it's found a great new home.

Dale,

It's like you bought half of a shop for $1k... I hope you know how lucky you are! Enjoy enjoy!!

Bernie

Dale,

It's like you bought half of a shop for $1k... I hope you know how lucky you are! Enjoy enjoy!!

Bernie

Bernie,

I really do know how lucky I am. For many years I've dreamed (literally) of ending up with a deal like this. I dream that I buy a house, then I go out back and there's this old cluttered but well equipped shop included in the deal. I find it really telling that finally at just the right time in my life...the dream comes true. I know how easy it is to slap down a grand for tools or machines or parts. I was a Harbor Freight today and saw the little POS metal lathe they had that was almost $600. The Sherline setup I got for my shop in the Army was cool, had a mill etc. But it was a complete joke compared to this lathe...and I slapped down about $3000 (Uncle Sam slapped it down). No back gears, no power feed, tiny capabilities. Very cool machine but it's not a South Bend.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, now it's time to get to work! I've got a bit of literature (I love "How to Run a Lathe!), I ordered the lathe restoration book plus all of the wicks and gaskets from E-bay. Also got the proper oils.

IMG_20140404_182217_158[1].jpg

IMG_20140404_182217_158[1].jpg

What a lovely scoop!

Not all of that is worth fussing with, but it looks like you got beyond the majority's worth of good stuff. You'll find that the tail stock configuration has great advantages in some applications, but that you might miss the old screw driven barrel sometimes. Get one, if you can. Large dials should be on your list to do. You can make these with this lathe, then install them.

I just introduced myself in the appropriate sub-forum tonight, and posted pix of my last remaining shop queen...a Heavy 10 made from 4 different lathe's assemblies, plus parts I made myself.

If excusable, I will repost in your thread:

DSC_25660001.JPG

I wish I had "before" photos, but the nature of the project didn't lend itself to that sort of documentation. However, imagine 8 years and 4 different lathes in various states of decrepitude...plus assorted fill-ins.

If I can be of any assistance at all, please do not hesitate to rattle my jail cell.

DSC_25660001.JPG

It looks like I've exceeded my storage allocation. Are my file sizes too big? is my limit just the things stored in the upload section in the "manage attachments" section? Can I delete the things stored? or do they consider all images in my thread "stored"? It's always a struggle figuring out a new forum

- - - Updated - - -

Wally, That is a beautiful lathe! I'm thinking that I'll really need to completely redo mine. It would be a shame if I didn't.

Yes. I agree with you.

But it all depends on what you want to do in your shop. Mebbe what I mean by that is, what do you want your shop to do for you?

I started out wanting a lathe because those things make parts, right? It got well beyond that when I started to develop a sincere interest in the machines for themselves.

My cut to the chase is that all HSM shops need 2 lathes. You don't even need a mill, though it makes certain fabrications easier having one. My change gear Logan made parts for my SB 10L (and reciprocally) and there was almost nothing they couldn't do as a tag team. But, try and get my B'port away from me! (LOL)

There was not one machine in my shop, spare one, that ultimately had any two parts connected during my "rebuild" process.

I think I need to stop there because I'm launching into perhaps uninvited tutorial territory, but I have long considered reasons for my attitude towards the whole subject.

I'm willing to share, but loathe to be tedious.

Share away....tutor away...mentor away....be tedious. It's all good!!

Back