Scope Ring Alignment Rods

Merv

Registered
Registered
I am trying to make my own scope ring alignment rods for a 1" scope. What is the tolerance for these 1" rods - plus or minus ?? thou?

-.001: is good. But, while you're at it, turn a bar the same diameter long enough to span through both rings once installed. Get the alignment as good as you can get with the two rods in the rings, then once everything is installed, lap the rings with the long bar. You will see where the high spots are/were, and you won't put marks on the scope.

-.001: is good. But, while you're at it, turn a bar the same diameter long enough to span through both rings once installed. Get the alignment as good as you can get with the two rods in the rings, then once everything is installed, lap the rings with the long bar. You will see where the high spots are/were, and you won't put marks on the scope.
Thanks. I was wondering about the diameter of the lapping rod as well.

Mounting a scope properly is the most improperly done task to a rifle, EVER! I have lapped rings on some very high dollar rings, and was amazed at how rough they were. The Burris Signature insert rings are God's gift to scopes.

And that is reason why self aligning rings like EAW, Recknagel, Mack and other European rings have a such high price tag. Their ability for stress free installation that is absolutely important for accuracy of any rifle.

Don't make your scope ring tools with points.

Thanks. I was wondering about the diameter of the lapping rod as well.

Even with good rings there is no garantee that the action and bases are straight. So it has become routine for me to lap and bed any scope installation (other than Burris insert rings).
To lap, a piece of SiCa paper is wrapped around the 0.999'' rod and lapped until full contact. Epoxy bedding fills in where metal was removed.

Back