:madebooboo::veryangry:

Do not get one, crap

Polishing a turd or fettling a HF X-Y vise

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=20946

This is a good one compared to the Sealey

I will take some photos later,

Thanks for the hint!

---

Anyway I suggest you to edit the post above, telling it is really wonderful and regretting you have to put it back on eBay because the color don't fit with the eyes of your little Yorkshire dog
:roflmao:

that sucks, sorry to hear about it. File a dispute with Paypal for a return and get your money back. What was wrong with it? Out of true castings seems to be the usual complaint.

I agree with the others about a proper X-Y table, but I would have had to pay twice what I spent on my HF vise to get one, which didn't seem worth the investment when I could put that $60 or so towards tooling.

that sucks, sorry to hear about it. File a dispute with Paypal for a return and get your money back. What was wrong with it? Out of true castings seems to be the usual complaint.

I agree with the others about a proper X-Y table, but I would have had to pay twice what I spent on my HF vise to get one, which didn't seem worth the investment when I could put that $60 or so towards tooling.

Hi
I will email paypal, the lead screws are bent, the castrings look ok,
but the gibs are not set, lead screw is not supported at the ends &
the holes are way to big for the shaft of the lead screw,
paint & machining marks on the slide ways (looks like a thread),
markings for the dials are crap.

I always liked Sealey before, I would not put my name to this crap.

x-y table in the uk £150 & up.

I think i will stick to my lathe & when it is up & running i will have
more time & money for a mill & tooling.

not to dissuade you from filing a dispute, but it might not be as bad as you think. The ends of the lead screws aren't supported on mine - one of them is free in the air, the other goes into a hole in the casting. I tried putting a bearing in there but it didn't make any difference. Also, for the lower screw, the lead screw nut is removeable (has to be to get the vise apart) and it's tricky getting it in straight so that the screw runs freely. Seems like a degree off in either direction relative to the screw makes it bind as if it's bent. Gibs you can set yourself, machining marks come with the territory and extra paint should be kept for when it falls off somewhere else :)

I don't know how much you paid and it might be enough that you expected it to work out of the box, but it's best to regard it as a collection of castings from which you can make a nice tool out of. It's the view I took and alot of hours later I have what I think is a really nice vise.

not to dissuade you from filing a dispute, but it might not be as bad as you think. The ends of the lead screws aren't supported on mine - one of them is free in the air, the other goes into a hole in the casting. I tried putting a bearing in there but it didn't make any difference. Also, for the lower screw, the lead screw nut is removeable (has to be to get the vise apart) and it's tricky getting it in straight so that the screw runs freely. Seems like a degree off in either direction relative to the screw makes it bind as if it's bent. Gibs you can set yourself, machining marks come with the territory and extra paint should be kept for when it falls off somewhere else :)

I don't know how much you paid and it might be enough that you expected it to work out of the box, but it's best to regard it as a collection of castings from which you can make a nice tool out of. It's the view I took and alot of hours later I have what I think is a really nice vise.

I agree with Matt on all points. Both my HF vise and my Grizzly mill table were like his vise when I got them.

Hi
I paid £64 for the vice, Yes i expected it to work out of the box, i have not got the time to fix it.
I need the vice for jobs.
I got my lathe & had to set it up, get parts for it Backgear lever TDI & a VFD,

need more time, geting slow in my old age.

will ring the guy on Monday, to get 2 new lead screws or the price reduced, if not will send it back.

thanks for all the good advice

jeff

PS the internet was down & then v/slow today ??????????????

Hi
Packed up the vice today, will post it back, in the next day or to.

one or two photos of the vice.

I am going for a compound table & separate vice, when i have the time & money.

Back to the lathe, must get it up & runing asap.

sealey 1.jpg sealey 2.jpg sealey 9.jpg sealey 3.jpg sealey 4.jpg sealey 5.jpg sealey 6.jpg sealey 7.jpg sealey 8.jpg sealey 10.jpg sealey 11.jpg sealey 12.jpg sealey 13.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
The vice went back mid-week, i got a full refund from the guy.

still looking for a vice, but i can wait.

Back