Sears Shares Jump On Report Of Bids For Craftsman Brand

Charles Spencer

Active User
Registered
From the Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sears-stock-jump-1005-biz-20161004-story.html :

"Bloomberg reported Tuesday that potential bidders include Stanley Black & Decker and Hong Kong's Techtronic Industries, with final offers due at the end of the month. People with knowledge of the matter said bids may value Craftsman at about $2 billion, according to the report."

My guess would be the Chinese in one manifestation or the other. There are probably a lot of people who think Craftsman is still what it once was, especially casual tool buyers.

With harbor freight having upped the quality of some of their hand tools I am guessing Craftsman will face tough challenges ahead. I took a Craftsman socket wrench into sears recently for repair, they don't do that anymore in store, they just handed me a new one, what a POS, I went to HF and bought a much better one and the craftsman is now a back up. I worked at Sears in the tool dept as a young man, 45 years ago, what a downward spiral they have been on ever since.

michael

With harbor freight having upped the quality of some of their hand tools I am guessing Craftsman will face tough challenges ahead. I took a Craftsman socket wrench into sears recently for repair, they don't do that anymore in store, they just handed me a new one, what a POS, I went to HF and bought a much better one and the craftsman is now a back up. I worked at Sears in the tool dept as a young man, 45 years ago, what a downward spiral they have been on ever since.

michael
I took a broken Craftsman shovel in to Sears for replacement some years ago. They refused to replace it, explaining that they no longer sold that exact type of shovel. I pointed out that they stocked similar (but more expensive) shovels that would do the same job, but they still refused. Haven't been back to Sears since.

Sears stopped being sears years ago. Best thing to do is forget they ever existed. Sad but true.

The last tool I bought at Sears was a pair of Craftsman linesman's pliers. A couple of months later I was using them to cut some 12/2 BX cable, the head snapped at the pivot sending to into my face, splitting my upper lip open. I returned them and was given a hard time but managed to get my money back. Bought a pair of Klein's which I still have. Oh, this happened around 1987.

45 years ago, I can remember drooling all over the power tools as I walked through Sears. Now, you can’t even get me to turn my head as I pass through any part of the tool section…Dave.

Reactions: Guv
I'm sure glad I stocked up on ratchet repair kits way back when they used to sell them for 99 cents each! Haven't needed one yet, but when I do, I can fix it!

Back