Self Grip Parting Blade Recommendations

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I got this parting block kit from shars for my 10 x 22. which has helped my parting tremendously. that being said I think I may want to get a better blade but something that won't break the bank the setup has worked pretty good but sometimes the inserts seem to fit a lil loose was wondering what others are using

20160305_201204.jpg

I just bought this one from Shars:

http://www.shars.com/5-8-rh-tool-holder-for-self-lock-cut-off-inserts-2

It is limited to parting 1 21/64" diameter stock, but it only cost $21. It uses the popular GTN4 carbide insert. My first impressions are very good. It seems to cut steel smoothly and without chatter. The kits like yours are around $100 (sometimes more), and I didn't want to try that expensive of an experiment.

Before this, all I had was the cutoff tool holder that comes with a QCTP set, and I just never had much luck parting anything except aluminum with that.

Good luck!

GG

I was looking would I just look up 1 inch blade how do I check to see if the inserts I have will fit ??? I will admit right out I get a lil lost with all the numbers and classifications :)

It depends on the width of your parting blade. There are GTN-2, GTN-3, GTN-4, and I'm sure much larger, but those are the ones we hobbyists are most likely to have. There should be documentation that came with your blade, or you should be able to look up the parting tool on Shars web site and it should be listed there too.

GG

The GTN range of parting insert where the first to popularize tungsten carbide parting inserts with Iscar leading the way. They then when on to make the GFN range which I use and I am extremely happy with them. Iscar has extended there range even more now. All the major carbide suppliers now make there own varieties now. But the GTN range has become the universal type and almost all the suppliers will have them in there range. The size of the insert is extremely important and the bigger sizes 4 and 5 mm need machines with lots of HP. Then again the 2 mm inserts need to be handle with cause as they break a lot easier and a broken insert could damage your blade.

They work very well as straight parting tools, they do not like being used as axial turning tools however.

I give them a whack with a piece of plastic stock to seat the insert.

Back