Sheldon Back Gear Broken Teeth

drom68

Active User
Registered
Well, I broke two teeth on the smaller gear on the back gear shaft. I plan on making the shaft, but need to get the right gear cutter. I have a horizontal mill/dividing head and would prefer to find the right gear cutter vs making a single tooth cutter. I know it is a 20 tooth at 2.195 dia. Any ideas on what the angle of the teeth are? I checked the e-pay, they had one (Sheldon shaft) but it had the same issue. I will also check with the sheldon group. In the end, it would be a great project for me to make.

Thanks in advance. View attachment 83412View attachment 83413

If the rest of that shaft is still good, and it looks to be, what about making just the gear and fitting it in place of the old one?

Cheers Phil

If the rest of that shaft is still good, and it looks to be, what about making just the gear and fitting it in place of the old one?

Cheers Phil

Thought about it, but it is a one piece deal. I figured if I am going to work on it then I might as well build a complete one.

John Knox at the Sheldon group has a very interesting way of repairing broken gear teeth. I think he takes an impression of a good tooth. drills precise holes in the base of the broken tooth places a couple of set screws in the holes then uses JB weld to form the new tooth. The correct tooth is formed by placing the impression that has been filled with JB Weld over the broken tooth area. I have not tried it yet but have a few teeth broken on the pinion gear of my Sheldon and the repair is one of my winter time projects.

John Knox at the Sheldon group has a very interesting way of repairing broken gear teeth. I think he takes an impression of a good tooth. drills precise holes in the base of the broken tooth places a couple of set screws in the holes then uses JB weld to form the new tooth. The correct tooth is formed by placing the impression that has been filled with JB Weld over the broken tooth area. I have not tried it yet but have a few teeth broken on the pinion gear of my Sheldon and the repair is one of my winter time projects.

Sounds like my dentist!

Probably why I understand the process. 40 years doing dentistry!

Back