Sherline 5400 and 2010 mills

Techy, where did you buy your mt1 collets?
Bought them on eBay:

I'm not sure that they are hard. I guess it really doesn't matter - I don't use the mill that much and I thought that this was a good enough deal to get the collet set even though I'll probably end up selling the mills. I would think it would be easier to sell a mill if it had collets.

I don't know - I'm still up in the air if I should sell them or not. I do have the functionality with my Hardinge TM which is a nice size and a whole lot more rigid (and has the horizontal option too).

Bought them on eBay:

I'm not sure that they are hard. I guess it really doesn't matter - I don't use the mill that much and I thought that this was a good enough deal to get the collet set even though I'll probably end up selling the mills. I would think it would be easier to sell a mill if it had collets.

I don't know - I'm still up in the air if I should sell them or not. I do have the functionality with my Hardinge TM which is a nice size and a whole lot more rigid (and has the horizontal option too).
The MT1 collets are confirmed to be hardened. I'll be getting them on Thursday and I'll take a picture and a listing of what I have then.

The overall new replacement value is $2966. Everything is really close to new or is still in the original shipping boxes. More to be posted by Thursday night or by this weekend.

Last edited:
Shoot, I thought I posted pictures of the mills and tooling. The MT1 collets on eBay are great but you have to buy a 1/4 x 20 TPI x 4" long grade 5 bolt to use as a drawbar (and make a centering doo-dad). This stuff is essentially new. I checked the motors and the spindle speeds are right and everything is quiet/operating as should be.

I don't know if I should advertise these on the site. I really don't want to ship this stuff.

Attachments

• Books Small.jpg
    Books Small.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Mill 1 Small.jpg
    Mill 1 Small.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 14
  • Mill 2 Small.jpg
    Mill 2 Small.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 16
  • Mill 3 Small.jpg
    Mill 3 Small.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Part List Small.jpg
    Part List Small.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 14
Sell them locally anywhere from 3/4 to a half of new prices and you'll be done with it.
Craigslist or FB Marketplace are your friends for local sales.
Ebay charges a % and you have to ship which really complicates things for everyone involved.
If you want to sell here, list your asking prices plus shipping.

Thanks for the advice. I advertised the mills on Craigslist, Facebook, and with the local machinist and radio clubs. I have the advertised prices right in the middle of the range you listed. I’d like to see these go to someone who can use them. I still might set them up as originally intended- I don’t know…

I run a University machine shop with lots of nice full size equipment both manual and CNC, I still love playing with the small stuff at home. If you don't need the money consider keeping them. I recently purchased three Sherline lathes on Marketplace for $300 a piece in a bulk purchase and they were well tooled. That was a steal, but I have seen a lot of similar deals in my area so you might not get as much as you think out of them. One of them I gifted to a friend who doesn't have much money and has been wanting a lathe, the smile was payment enough.

I run a University machine shop with lots of nice full size equipment both manual and CNC, I still love playing with the small stuff at home. If you don't need the money consider keeping them. I recently purchased three Sherline lathes on Marketplace for $300 a piece in a bulk purchase and they were well tooled. That was a steal, but I have seen a lot of similar deals in my area so you might not get as much as you think out of them. One of them I gifted to a friend who doesn't have much money and has been wanting a lathe, the smile was payment enough.
Thanks for the thoughts. Machine costs are highly dependent upon the location, condition, and how fast one wants to sell them. You, arguably, live in the land of the least expensive home hobby machine tools: I live in one of the most expensive.

I’ve consulted a number of people who sell machines locally and they gave me the range of what these should bring. I have a guy coming over to look at the mills. The mills are like new-no exaggeration…I’m also willing to negotiate, depending upon the situation.

But, I might just keep them too…these are pretty capable little machines-they are better than I am.

Thanks for the thoughts. Machine costs are highly dependent upon the location, condition, and how fast one wants to sell them. You, arguably, live in the land of the least expensive home hobby machine tools: I live in one of the most expensive.

I’ve consulted a number of people who sell machines locally and they gave me the range of what these should bring. I have a guy coming over to look at the mills. The mills are like new-no exaggeration…I’m also willing to negotiate, depending upon the situation.

But, I might just keep them too…these are pretty capable little machines-they are better than I am.
I don't live too far from @MillersvilleProf, but it sounds like I need to expand the distance on my FB MP searches. Casting my memory back, I did get one of my best finds not too far from Millersville (Willow Street, PA) last year:

Kennedy Tool Boxes 1.png
Not great based on this photo from the Seller, but check out the link to see how they look after some TLC.

Back