• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Shop apron what is your favorite

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

tpic402

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
What is your favorite shop apron? Could you tell me where you purchased it. My apron was a leather welding apron, it was awfully hot but offered very good protection.

bvd1940

Active User
What is your favorite shop apron? Could you tell me where you purchased it. My apron was a leather welding apron, it was awfully hot but offered very good protection.
Mine is the Enco denim apron with bib pocket with free shipping and on sale $4 or $5. The one drawback is the length of the tie string :angry: cant be because I am a bit chubby:nervous:

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer

silence dogood

Active User
Castiron, I sure hope that you get those strings on your shop apron fixed so you can tie it. I sure hate to read that your shop apron or string got caught in a machine. :nervous:Mark

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
My favorite shop apron is the one that's on my lathe. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist....I got nothing to add, I don't wear one.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I have a couple of them from Enco, but found the ties to be poorly attached. Had to have my wife sew them on better. Other that that, they are fine. I've got to admit, though, the Duluth Trading aprons look pretty nice - for a price.

savarin

Active User
I use my leather welding apron for welding and grinding only, dont wear one otherwise, its too hot here.

samthedog

Active User
I use a leather carpenter's apron. It is heavy duty and resistant to abrasion and the cords are quite long. I'll be adding a larger pocket on the chest for a notebook and pen.

Paul.

cathead

Active User
My raggedy blue jeans and a rummage sale t-shirt.... I do have a shop apron
but have never put it on. Maybe I will try it and see if I like it. I don't want
to look too professional though because my friends bring me enough repair
jobs as it is!

mce5802

Active User
FWIW I'm not sold on the enco apron. Not enough pockets and they're too high up...can't put my favorite scale in or it'll jab me in the chin. Tom Lipton had a guy that makes some real nice ones send him a couple. Can't tell you his name but they looked to be well worth the money.

fastback

Active User
I have a homemade blue denim. It was made by my seamstress cousin for her brothers when they owned their own business. The reason I like it is it has 2 side pockets, 1 micrometer flap pocket so it does not fall out when you need to bend over. It also has 3 other small pockets for pens, rule, scribe or whatever. I have nylon parachute rope to tie it over the shoulder. I have a number of others, but this is by far my favorite. I use an apron whenever I remember, that is, because it is more productive when warn. I keep a small square, bubble level and maybe a part I'm working on in the side pockets. I'm not trying to look professional I just don't want to be looking for stuff when I'm working on a project.

Paul

Fabrickator

Active User
here's what i got - GOOD QUALITY Cheap Price!!! Quantity 6 Shop Apron's with pockets!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-NEW-DENIM...938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e64c7a342

i have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer!!!
These aprons are similar to what I wore when I worked in a professional machine shop. Nowadays, I just wear old tee shirts, shorts and flip flops and always, glasses. No point in telling me it's not safe. To prevent the occasional splatter burn when fab'n/welding, I suit up.

kvt

Active User
Wife bought me a nice leather welding apron to were, But stuff still finds a way around it. Maybe it is just now wide enough, :noidea: but people are right they get hot. It might be good for you guys up north during the winter but in south Texas it is still warm. I think I like the looks of some of the cotton ones, but has to have over the shoulder straps as neck problems get aggravated by stuff hanging around my neck. I will have to keep some of these in mind, or get someone to make me some. :talktogod:

KVT

caveBob

Active User
^^^Ditto that!^^^

...and as an unexpected side-benefit, my better half loves/looks forward to their sales and marketing flyers they send out after purchase. As a result of that... she made sure that some "Plumbers Butt Tee Shirts" were in my stocking for Christmas. They are awesome too... very comfy, just right loose in the shoulder and elbow areas:

Duluth Trading TV Commercial: Longtail T® Shirt - The Cure for Plumber's Butt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-p1I2K0M9Q

Duluth Trading Longtail T® Shirt - The Solution to Plumber's Butt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqzha6g5ZvI

Longtail T Shirts
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/longtail-t-shirts/longer-shirts.aspx

...fwiw...

rafe

Active User
Never used an apron, no that's not true I did wear them when i worked in a sand casting foundry many moons ago, the blue denim ones were fire resistant, then one week they sent white ones that weren't. I accidently lit the guy working the weight on and off the molds with my pour bucket....scared the crap out of both of us ...him a bit more I'm sure ....I'll pass on the apron....lol

18w

Active User
Ben Davis machinist apron. Has the micrometer pocket, pocket for my scale, scriber, little screwdriver, and pencil. Two lower pockets. Nice heavy material. Dark denim blue hides the dirt well. $21.00 at the local work wear store. Duluth Trading looks to have a lot of cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Darrell

ortho

Active User
My favorite is the one my wife made me. I gave her a few specifics (am a tall person): denim material, tie from behind, and a single breast pocket in front. I also use it for my grilling.:))
---Joe

Morgan RedHawk

Active User
Do any of yall cut the apron strings off and reattach them with velcro? I read something once about doing that in case the apron got caught on something it would rip the apron off without taking the wearer with it. Seems like a well fitting apron would not be much of a hazard, but Im just curious if yall take that precaution.

great white

Active User
Carhartt denim overalls. Wear em when I'm work on anything. They were a touch expensive, but they've saved me from ruining countless pairs of jeans and shirts so they've paid for themselves a couple times over...

RVJimD

Active User
I just started wearing one of the inexpensive Enco blue denim aprons. I don't like anything with a neck strap so I replace that with a cheap set of elastic suspenders. I would like a few more pen/scribes slots but once I figure out what I'm gona like it would be easy to mod.

image.jpg

kvt

Active User
My wife bought me a split leather welding apron. It is a long one, and instead of the normal around the neck straps it does an x across the back and then around the waist. I has kept not only the welding and cutting sparks off me, but the chips as well. The only problem is that the split leather does have a tendency to hold on to some of the lathe chips until you blow it off with compressed air.
and as normal could do with a few more pockets.
I need to get me a long denim one as it would not be a heavy and hot though.

[6]
[5] [7]