Shop Organization — How I attempt to keep track of stock, supplies, hardware and whatever.

ChazzC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hardware Storage

Organizing & labelling (always helps) my insert screws:

20240115 Insert Screw Drawer.jpeg

The little boxes that I used for the insert screws were found on Amazon when I was looking for way to organize tiny set screws without taking up too many "cavities" in one of the Plano-style boxes:

Set Screw Asst.jpg

in my hardware stack:

Hardware Storage.jpg

Last edited:
Tooling Storage Ideas

Consolidated my US & Metric transfer screws:

Transfer Screws.jpeg

Prep'd two storage tubes from 3" PVC drain pipe (the low pressure/density pipe works great for this; plain test caps glued on the base and test caps with tabs for easy removal for the tops:

3in PVC Storage.jpeg

Keeps these less often used tools (live bullnose center & MT3 3/4" chuck) clean and storing them on end takes up less space:

Completed PVC Storage.jpeg

Mini-Lathe Chuck Storage

As everyone should know by now, I like things neat & tidy (tickety-boo?). Chuck storage has always been an issue for me – they need to be close at hand, but out of the way, while not taking up space that could better be utilized. At the same, the chucks need to be protected from dust, dirt & swarf. Over the weekend, I came up with a solution that looks like it will work, and here's what I did.

First, I spent some time removing the labels from some plastic "jars" that were wrapped around Kirkland™ Chocolate Covered Almonds (sprayed the labels with Goo-Gone® and let them sit overnight until the labels could be easily peeled off, wiped the jars with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol and gave them a good wash & dry. Then over to the bandsaw:

Sawing Plastic Jar.jpeg
Not the first time I've used a 2-4-6 block as a guide. The sawing went surprising smoothly, and shortly I was left with two pieces:

Plastic Jar Before n After.jpeg
The guide did it's job, and the cut was square (and the two ends of the cut met).

After deburring the cut edges by rubbing them against a green Scotch-Brite™ pad on the bench and some detail work with a small strip of 220 grit emery cloth, my covers were done:

Chuck Storage.jpeg
As you can see, I didn't waste the lids: the 4" 3-Jaw & 4-Jaw chucks sit back-down in a lid, and the bottom of the jar is a perfect cover. There is also a 3" 3-Jaw chuck back-down in a lid, but with a 16oz Deli-Cup as a cover. Also seen at the far left of the row is my 5" 3-Jaw, sitting in a larger cap with a clear food storage container used as a lid. The chucks are out of the way, but close at hand, and protected against the elements. When I need bench space, I remove two bolts that secure the lathe baseplate to the bench and push it back against the 1x8 that the chucks are sitting on:

Lathe Pushed Back.jpeg

leaving clear bench space (with numerous mounting holes for various portable tools):
Lathe Stowed.jpeg

Attachments

• Chuck Storage.jpeg
    Chuck Storage.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 4
(My) Typical Tool Organization & Storage

I've mentioned the Really Useful Box® in a number of posts: they are sturdy, come in a wide range of sizes and I find them to be true to their name (Really Useful!). I use them to store both tools and tooling, keeping like things together with necessary tools and (reasonably) organized. Here are some samples:

20240531 Threading Tools Box Lid rfs.jpg

Bosch Battery Tools Lid Photo.jpeg

Hex Drive Box Lid.jpeg

Parrot Vise Box.jpeg

Fixture Plates n Blocks.jpeg

Tilting Table.jpeg

Flexi-Chuck Box Lid.jpeg

No, I don't have a deal with Really Useful (maybe I should?); I buy mine at Staples® and other office supply sources (usually local pickup: while the boxes don't weigh a lot, they take up a lot of cubic inches/mm, and that drives the cost of shipping).

Last edited:
Back