Show us your South Bend Lathe

This came into my possession yesterday so I'm still trying to work out what I have.

The catalog number 8187AN would suggest its a 10", 1" collet, 4' bed toolroom lathe.

I had a good look for the serial number and there is the faintest remanence of a 7 were you would expect to find the s/n on the bed (is it possible for the serial number to wear off?).

Am I right in thinking that the single tumbler screwcutting gearbox makes it pre 1949?

The cabinet looks like a non OEM product and could have been an "Aussie" add on, will have to work out what all the levers do when I get it home.

2014-06-25-0034.jpg2014-06-26-0044.jpg

2014-06-25-0034.jpg 2014-06-26-0044.jpg

I just bought my second South Bend. It's a 9A from 1968, serial number 57266NKR9. I pick it up week after next. Grizzly has already sent me the serial card. It should look really good next to my South Bend 16"x144" lathe.

James

CCI06252014.jpg $_12.JPG

We take great pride in our machines!

This is the thread to post photos of your beloved South Bend lathes, show "before" and "after photos and make our mouths water with the tooling and accessories you have accumulated for your machine.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but some captions would be awfully nice too!

So come on....let's see what you got!

Best,

Nelson

Here's my latest re-do a 1955+/- 9" with bed turret as well as std tailstock has collet closer ant collet rack but no collets. took 6 mos and 150 hours to re-do but I was slow ( recuperating from major intestinal surgery and a major leg blood clot in between stomach operations)
when I stripped the paint on the chip tray I decided to bring it to bare steel and polish it... The result is NO PAINT CHIPS<< EVER

P1030294.JPG

1947 9" model A South Bend Lathe

I bought this lathe from the original owners nephew. it was bought new in 1948 from W T Wills Machinery Co. cat # 644 A serial # 5116NAR8 it came very fully tooled, tapper attachment, milling attachment, 64th set of colletts and many old style lantern tool holders as well as newer ones. It is in excellent condition! It has never been repainted or restored. I love the old patina and the grey is a bit darker. It has less than 2 thou backlash on compound and cross slide screws, original scraping marks on all the way and machine surfaces! It was on a old oil soaked bench made from a door. I built a new bench, I used recycled old growth strait grain Doug Fir for the 2 1/2" slab top and laminated 2x6s for the legs and top and bottom rails, also added levelers with heavy duty casters. It is my treasure, and gives me peace.

IMG_1635.JPGIMG_1806.JPGIMG_1810.JPGSouth Bend registry card.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_1788.JPGIMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1788.JPG IMG_1805.JPG IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1806.JPG South Bend registry card.JPG

Last edited:
Heavy 10 L

I was looking for a lathe for a couple of years so I just bought a 1948? Heavy 10 L. Serial no 1264rkl9 this one has the cast iron plinth. The front way is worn somewhat and the compound screw has 180 degrees of play. Other than that everything else appears to be in good shape so far. I will be diassembling it to paint and replace any worn parts. I have to get a VFD since it is a 3/4 horse 3 phase motor. I did see it run and it was smooth and quiet. A three and four jaw chuck and miscellaneous tool holders came with it. I will be fabricating parts for my Road Racing Musitang bikes and anything else. I have been working on Mostly Ford cars light trucks Honda motorcycles some aircraft and boats for 50 years. Thanks Tom.

My new (1958) 13 inch, on delivery day. 93 miles plus my driveway from hell, finally in my somewhat crowded garage.
SB13-2.jpgSB13-4.jpgSB13-1.jpgSB13-3.jpg

Got the Grizzy order card. Pretty sure it had a hardened bed (all ground) but lathe did not have the badge. Card confirms it is hardened.

John

SB13-1.jpg SB13-2.jpg SB13-3.jpg SB13-4.jpg

Back