[Lathe] Sidney Machine Tool Co. lathe

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
I hope I am in the right forum,never had this many places to post.
So here goes my uncle Tucker left me his lathe and more when he passed.Truth be told I would rather have him then his stuff.But that is out of my hands.
So my question is does anybody else besides me have a "Sidney Machine Tool Co. "lathe?
John O at PM tells me it's pre 1930.
I have searched the web for three years and not found anything close. Came close on u-tube with herringbone lathe rebuild.
I know PICS PICS PICS,not counting my noob intro this is my first post .I will try to go to the Pic posting fourm later and learn the right method to post pics.
So to sum it up any help with my lathe would be greatly aprecatated{SP}.
**************Thanks in advance***************GG************************
Lathe info: Sidney machine tool co.
11 inch swing
48 between centers
Herringbone eight speed gear box 13-20-32-49-79-122-195-300
Spindle hole 1 3/4"
This machine is over 10 feet long ,54 inches high and 42 inchcs wide.
Way Stamped: Lot # 180,#5012.
my best guess is over five thousand pounds gross.
She may be old and stout but she paid the the bills.I hope she she faviors{SP} me in her new home.

You sure it was 11" swing?

All the Sidney lathes I've ever been around were big and stout. I don't believe they made anything smaller than a 14" size lathe that would swing 16-1/2".

I know that John O. has catalog literature on later built Sidney lathes. I don't think he has any on anything older than 1950. Be worth a PM to him asking if he has anything that is close to what you have that he could scan and send to you to have something to look at. I don't know of anyone having a service manual or parts manual to one.

There is a lot of historical information out on the web, including a good thread on the other site.

Appears that what was left to the company was lost in a fire in 2004. So having said that, another lathe builder bit the dust! Unfortunatly.

I have a Sidney

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/5430-Show-us-your-old-iron!?highlight=Sidney+lathe

scroll to post 14 of this thread.
Its a 1941, 14X30

Whar infro are you looking for? I may be able to help.
Just re reading your post, You must have a 30s or older Sidney. This would be a flat belt machine if it is. The spur gear Sidneys like mine were12 speed, and the herring bone 16 speeds.

Is yours like mine in the link? Or is it a flat belt machine? Mine is a baby Sidney 14X30 @ 4200 lbs, and swings 17 inch. But we need some pics of what you have. If you go to PM and search for Rockcrusher, he has a early flat belt Sidney. Next to no infro on the older Sidneys. Though if it is like mine, I have the complete manual, Service and breakdown. But sounds like you may have a early Sidney.

Last edited:
Wow Thanks All
This site is what I have been looking for. Three years of trying to find info for this machine and four replys in less then two hours.I started this search three years ago when my uncle Tucker was still alive.I wanted to tell him all about his lathe.He just smileled{SP} and said "You will get it ,just don't stop trying"
THANK YOU
Hope this works ,I will now try to post pic.
latheshoptools003_zps8a9612ea.jpg
latheshoptools001_zpscb349f29.jpg
Here goes nothing.
************Thanks ***************************GG*******************

latheshoptools003_zps8a9612ea.jpg

latheshoptools001_zpscb349f29.jpg

I have a pic of a lathe some where on my computer, I had saved it because the chip pan looked so much like the Sidney lathes, and a few other things. I didnt know what brand it was.

The headstock set up must be a design they used for a few yrs between flat belt, and spur/herring bone headstock. Over the yrs, Ive seen alot of sidneys, butyou must have a rare low production made machine. Mine is Lot 140 serial 6654 but much different machine.

If you are sure that you have the herring bone headstock, you must have one of the very early ones. Those headstocks run very quiet and smooth.
It appears your machine has the L-1 spindle / chuck mount. I have to ask, are you sure about the swing?
Those Sidney lathes are built like a tank, and over built from what Ive ever seen.Sidney was bold enough back in the day, they gave life time warrenty on industrial machines. Not that it means anything now, since they didnt survive over the long haul. Seems allmost no infro for Sidney exists for machines built in the very ealy days to the late 30s. I will see if I can dig up the pic of the one I had seen on the internet from yrs back. It was sitting in the back ground in a pic of a metal fab shop. Looks just like yours.

nice lathe, what a monster for an 11" lathe that should last a lifetime
steve

I am not sure but I think this lathe was built between fat belt and stand alone electric motors.My guess is based on these two access holes in the drive cover.
sidneylathe002_zps633eb6d8.jpg
sidneylathe011_zps3e485aa3.jpg
I think this might be a first attempt to use this machine to power another flat belt machine.This just a guess on my part.
Or I could be wrong and it was a flat belt driven converted to run on it's own motor at a later date.
Been known to happen.The last guy that walked in the shop and looked arround said "Nice shop,what do you make?" with out missing a beat I said "Mistakes"
*************Just Saying**********************************GG*********

sidneylathe002_zps633eb6d8.jpg

sidneylathe011_zps3e485aa3.jpg

Judging from the Maxwell House coffee can, I'd say that lathe has a much larger throw than 11". More like 21" or so.

Very cool hunk of metal sitting there. Sorry about your uncle but to clean up and learn to use that beast to "carry on his legacy", I'm sure would be a great way to honor him.

-Ron

Back