Simple FreeCAD toolchain project

ericc

Active User
Registered
In response to some urging from FreeCAD advocates, I have volunteered to build a demo toolchain in FreeCAD to interface with a retrofit knee mill running LinuxCNC. Coming from the computer world, this is sort of like the "Hello, World!" project. Simple, but shows all the roadblocks and showstoppers that advocates tend to gloss over during their bloviating sessions.

The project starts with something really simple but useful: a mill table clamp. It has a hole in one end for the jack bolt, a slot down the middle for the clamp bolt, and a beveled and tapered end to hold the part. This has turned out to be a really difficult project. The person who chose FreeCAD is an open source advocate, but was not able to reliably install FreeCAD on a Linux machine. I tried using the OpenSUSE package manager to install version 0.18 and the web page (freecadweb.org) to install. Both have their difficulties. The installations worked in that I was able to get the splash screen, but they both have their problems.

Currently, I am stuck at the very end. I have been able to create the object. Both the tutorials on the website are excellent, up to date, and work without many issues. The problem is getting the model to the G-code commands using the Path module. Does anyone know anything about this? The tutorial claims it is up to date, but it doesn't work even for the simple part they illustrate (one square pocket). Close examination of the tutorial shows that they don't even list the steps. They just tell which menu items and tools to use for each stage of the project. I managed to get a cobbled together flow working by copying hidden files to internally created directories by just guessing, but it only works for 2.5D operations. According to the web page, 3D is supported, but web searches suggest that this requires sideloading external libraries that don't appear to be compatible with the containerized installation on the website.

wow. I had no idea that it was so buggy.

I'm getting pretty good at FreeCAD. Path workbench takes some practice. More than Part Design. What do you need?

I'm running on Windows, but it should be the same as Linux.

I am trying to make a mill table clamp. The feature at the nose is the troublesome part.

Attachments

• millclmp.png
    millclmp.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 11
Curious to see how this works out.

A few years ago, I committed myself to using FreeCAD. It is so non-intuitive that I gave it a few weeks before I gave up on trying to re-create past known designs. While there is some YT videos that are actually very helpful out there, I find the non-intuitive interface to be the major barrier for me adopting FreeCAD.

FreeCAD today is not the same as a few years ago. The UI and work flow was changed majorly between 16 and 17.

I have been trying to use FreeCAD lately (though as a first time CAD person), and find the part-design workbench to be FINE for the most part (though often buggy, and the error messages are the least helpful thing ever invented), but TechDraw Workbench is AWFUL. Its buggy, it doesn't update the display all the time (it seems to randomly update?), its options are incredibly opaque and unreadable and disorganized, and the output is actually pretty hideous. AND things like chamfers end up making getting the dimension you want really difficult.

Next thing I draw I'm going to skip the chamfers (as one of the problems with the part-design workbench is that 'removing' an operation from the middle typically works, but not with chamfers) and add them in as text.

I'm on Linux, so it is my only option, but I've drawn 2 things of moderate complexity, and have found it to be annoying in many ways (Note again, I'm a software engineer, so no previous CAD experience to these two things).

I would strongly recommend you get the latest version of FreeCAD, 0.19.2. This was a major update and fixed a lot of issues.

Also, for issues/questions/bugs/etc, I would suggest you visit the forums for FreeCAD. They are very helpful and will try to answer your questions quickly. I was having an issue with A2+ and got the developer to fix an issue I was having very fast.

I would strongly recommend you get the latest version of FreeCAD, 0.19.2. This was a major update and fixed a lot of issues.

Also, for issues/questions/bugs/etc, I would suggest you visit the forums for FreeCAD. They are very helpful and will try to answer your questions quickly. I was having an issue with A2+ and got the developer to fix an issue I was having very fast.
I just downloaded it about 2 weeks ago, so I figure I have a pretty recent one. The about-config reports it is a version 19( git 24291), so no idea if thats the most recent one.

I shied away from the forums due to seeing some pretty awful responses to people making suggestions, it seemed to me the developers were unwelcoming of suggestions/changes.

Back