Simple T-slot Covers

I have used shop towels to cover the table when machining cast iron. Usually use a slot cleaner made out of 16 gage sheet metal. I like the what the others have posted. Nice job folks.

Great idea I am also tired of cleaning those slots,what about a raised section along the front and back of the x axis and just keeping the ends open for cleaning. It might stop the swarf from falling on the floor.

Great idea I am also tired of cleaning those slots,what about a raised section along the front and back of the x axis and just keeping the ends open for cleaning. It might stop the swarf from falling on the floor.
That sounds like a good improvement. The front and back edges should also help keep those screwdrivers and other round tools from rolling off so easy :)

I just let the slots fill and they're easy to vacuum up. I've found that chip control is just that. Whatever works for you and your situation. For me, I usually vacuum the table when I change set-ups. Most of the time I blow lighter, smaller chips to the back wall (out of sight, out of mind) and then vacuum the wall/floor once the project is complete.

I made a handy plex chip guard for my mill vise that works great, but I haven't adapted it to fit anything else yet.

IMG_0875.JPG

Be careful with your wood covers and any water based coolant. The wood can absorb small amounts of water and in contact with your table, create an environment for surface rust.
Soak the wood or ply with old machine oil before using it. Beats even sheet rubber.
Works well on surface tables too.

Cheers
Roger

I like it. I have been using plastic covers about 3/6" thick, but hot chips melt into them and stick.
As for the rear curb, that would also give you a surface to mount a flexible way cover. That is something I have been thinking about also.
I do like covering the table. Mine is in mint shape after 36 years, and I aim to keep it that way.

Hi all, Many moons ago when I got my mill, I made a fairly standard T slot cleaner and found it successful then I added a magnet to it which made an awesome difference as then I didn't have to sweep the crumbs up,(well it works fine on steel based metals) I would move it through the slot then empty it in the bin by removing the magnet off the steel cleaner and just like magic, the swarf drops into the bin.
Cheers Graham

After getting inspired by oxtool and jkilroy on youtube, I finally got around to making a set of plywood t-slot covers for my mill. I used a piece of 11" prefinished drawer slide plywood from a local hardwood dealer (about $8) and cut off two pieces. After that, I traced the outside of my vise and cut the ends on my band saw. Finally I made some 5/8" delrin blocks that I screwed to the bottom of the wood. I placed the outside pieces close to the end of the slot so that the covers won't rattle around when in use.
View attachment 106703
Table before the covers
View attachment 106699
After covers
View attachment 106700
Bottom view of cover
View attachment 106702
Detail of mounting block
View attachment 106698
Fit around the vise
What a GREAT IDEA!!!, Time to head out to the shop and take the cover off of the table saw!

Back