Simply 'owning' all of these machines, tools and accessories feels like a small job

Friendly non murdering Sword

Registered
Registered
One thing I have noticed quite a lot lately is that simply owning machines, tools and accessories feels like a small job to me. So my lathe and especially my mill came with boxes and boxes full of tools and accessories and when I buy used tools and equipment, they often times come in mixed lots that also all end up somewhere in my shop.

Since I usually have to buy all of this used, the tools often need care like disassembly, cleaning and regreasing. So I have a bunch of tools that before first use I have to invest time into them. Then I notice that some of those tools I never used might have started to rust so I have to do something to prevent that from getting worse. Space is always a luxury so when I need a certain space for new tooling and accessories to keep those sorted together I have to move and organize other tools and equipment around to new places. The mill and lathe also want periodic maintenance like cleaning and oiling.

I often times think to myself that I have spent all that time again but I have 'hardly made anything'. Now this thought might be a bit exaggerated of course, but does anyone feel the same?

In the last months I have tried to take a more 'minimalistic' approach by making an effort to sell all of the stuff that I haven't used in the last years (but that again requires checking condition, making photos, dealing with buyers and shipping) and not buying new stuff, even when the price seems tempting und the urge for new tooling is always luring in the back of my head.

Last edited:
For me it’s a hobby and it’s my work, so it doesn’t really stop.

As a hobby it keeps me busy (I have several hobbies) and staying busy is the point of hobbies in the first place.

If I get burnt out (which it sounds like you are) I switch to another hobby. Hell sometimes I’m going full bore with one hobby and a shiny object( a different hobby or tool) catches my eye, my ADD kicks in and off I go!

Past few years I have been messing with RC helis, boats and building out my fishing boat, then little machines literally fell into my lap and off I went building a basement shop when I already have a 1/1 shop in my garage.

Could be worse, I could be doing drugs, drinking or chasing women.

It sounds like you figured out this is a time and resource consuming hobby. I wouldn’t be too quick to sell off tools “you don’t think your use”. As your skills expand many of those tools could come in handy.

The price of tooling doesn’t ever seem to go down. Things I bought 20 years ago and still use have gone up in price considerably.

A couple examples are lathe tooling and power hacksaw blades. 20 years ago 3/8” HSS lathe tools sold new for less than $1.00, they now average close to $10.00. Power hacksaw blades that were selling for $3.00 are now closer to $20.00.

I've found that the big "clean-up / clean-out" helps my mental state. As you say, getting rid of stuff is a job in itself. Afterwards though I usually feel lighter.

Yeah, and what he said...
Be sure to let us know where you end up listing the stuff you no longer use :grin: I still have space in my shop.

Last edited:
I enjoy the process of finding low cost useful machine tooling and raw materials and finding ways to store the stuff so I can find it when I need it.

Unlike most here, I am a prepper. I enjoy machining and I see it as an opportunity in hard times. I stock more bolts and screws and disposables than your average home shop guy. I'm considering buying a 5 gallon bucket of way oil so I've got years of oil on the shelf. I often buy stuff guys say not to buy until I need it.

Nothing I've bought has gotten cheaper. Most of my raw materials sources have dried up.

If you want a perfect exemplar of the "Where did that time go? I have done tons but not actually made anything during that time" scenario, pretend you don't have an already set up workshop, are a beginner and buy a 7x Chinese mini-lathe!:grin:

To be fair I have made a few things but mostly they're me bootstrapping my way to some extra capability/rigidity for my little 7x or workshop infrastructure stuff.

Thankfully I'm beginning to run out of immediately required workshop infrastructure projects (draughting a table for my little bench horizontal to make it usable as a vertical bandsaw, and a stand for my 'new to me' bench drill and getting them both made are all that's left for now) and the remaining lathe upgrade projects are all actual machining projects.

Thing is, everything I've mentioned above is incredibly enjoyable for me. :)

The nearest thing to a chore in my workshop is when I've bought oldish bits on ebay and had to get out the MEK, Evaporust and wire wool to clean them up. Also I have two oldish Mitutoyo DTI's that need stripping and cleaning to make them not sticky. That's a job I've been putting off, mainly due to me being a little nervous about my innate clumsiness with such things unless I really focus and go slow.:oops:

Eh, even cleaning and oiling machine tools and hand tools and tidying up the workshop at the end of a 'session', I find to be quite pleasurable. :grin:

Back