Sled to mount/dismount heavy chucks

Great job. Good application for a 3D printer. I made my own out of King Starboard (HDPE) a different way (shows my woodworking background, LOL) - details at this link.

31897265970_8338d618a6_c.jpg

A length of bar or pipe to fit the bore of the spindle, clamped in the chuck also works. For those extra heavy chucks, you can add an eye on the end of the bar for a sky hook to do the heavy lifting.

A length of bar or pipe to fit the bore of the spindle, clamped in the chuck also works. For those extra heavy chucks, you can add an eye on the end of the bar for a sky hook to do the heavy lifting.
My father once broke his ankle when a 15" 4-jaw fell off the lathe he was working on. It was at home and he was alone - had to crawl on hands and knees 30 yards from the shop to the house to use the phone (no cell phones then) for the ambulance. He told me many times that he wished he'd taken more care to lift the thing as it bugged him for the rest of his life.

My father once broke his ankle when a 15" 4-jaw fell off the lathe he was working on. It was at home and he was alone - had to crawl on hands and knees 30 yards from the shop to the house to use the phone (no cell phones then) for the ambulance. He told me many times that he wished he'd taken more care to lift the thing as it bugged him for the rest of his life.
15" 4-jaw is a BIG chuck

15” had to hurt. My 16x60 has a 12” and it’s as big as I care to use. I actually prefer a 10” as it is more than adequate for the majority of the work I do.

Back