Small Tool Gloat

Glad to see I'm not the only one who buys random pulleys whenever they show up at garage sales.
One day, I'm going to need one and be really happy that I have about 50 of them to choose from!

Matt,
Great find! I spend every Saturday morning hunting for yard/garage/estate sales. Also, a lot of time at auctions, if they feature equipment & tools. You never know what you will fine.
Did you miss out on the 45$ Kennedy tool box?

thanks all! Random pulleys have saved my bacon a couple of times so I never pass one up. Always handy to have the option to change gearing or make something new.

Mark, I wish there were more pickings around here, but this is only the 2nd decent one I've been to in 2 years. It's pretty rural and relatively poor, so there's not much to choose from, at least at prices I think are reasonable (I'm not going to pay $2 for a 60yr old tap). I passed on the Kennedy tool box - it was a mechanics style one, like a Craftsman or HF box and wasn't in great condition. Plus, I can't really buy anything that weighs much as we're moving again next summer. When stuff costs ~$1/lb, cheap but heavy stuff starts looking less cheap. Besides, pretty much anywhere we'll end up has to have more pickings than here :)

Matt,
I only ask because I have a hobby of reselling tools & equipment. While other guys fish, hunt or golf, I flip tools. It's great because I get to meet tool guys and occasionally, I get to meet the one of the guys that I shoot the s#!t with on the tool forums.
After doing this for over 30 years, this has been the worst year, after the 2 best years. Hope things are better in your area than they have been in mine.

Also, I have an attachment towards Kennedy tool boxes.

ah, I see. The thought of selling tools is an anathema to me :) I'm still in the acquisition phase of tool ownership, building up my capabilities. I'll definitely keep an eye out for tool boxes after we move though, my current one is full of mechanics tools and I'm starting to get enough machinist tools that having them lay around is getting messy.

After doing this for over 30 years, this has been the worst year, after the 2 best years. Hope things are better in your area than they have been in mine..

I thought it was just me. I've had some great scores this year, but stuff I used to sell in 2 days has been languishing for months.

Matt,
Anathema. Thanks for the new word.
BTW: Flipping tools is the way that I acquired my shop. Also keeps the wife happy.

you're welcome Mark, words are awesome :)

good point, I'll tell the wife that, he he he. I wish there were more swap meets, that would be a fun way to meet other like minded toolaholics!

Back