So, So Many Questions...

brino:

It's pretty easy to get hooked on glass!

Brass seems to be the optimum material for most molds and shaping molds and tools because it handles heat well, holds a very smooth finish, and it doesn't rust. However, the most important thing in my book is that hot glass has a hard time sticking to hot brass.

Steel is great, but it does anneal when you're getting it in and out of the torch, poking liquid glass, etc. I have several steel tools, but they are mostly grabbing equipment like pliers. At certain temperatures glass actually will adhere to steel, even if the steel is dirty or lubricated. This can damage tools, ruin your work, or at least be a little annoying if you didn't want it to happen.

Aluminum is used for some optical molds. These molds are used to force glass into near-perfect shapes that are relatively simple, but impossible or insanely difficult otherwise. (Star, hexagon, etc.) Because glass spends a relatively short period of time in these molds, some are made out of aluminum. If you keep the glass in the mold too long, you'll melt it.

I haven't made any large spheres yet, just small marbles. My glass kiln isn't big or strong enough to handle the grand objects Iwant to make. Fortunately, as I've said, the whole shop is getting gussied up. The new kiln that's coming can handle pieces up to 10" wide and tall. Ooooooooh, that's nice.

If you're in the New Jersey area I may have something fit the bill for a lathe. It's inexpensive enough that you can spend the reminder tooling it up for all your needs. I'd think a 10" or even a 9" should fit your needs also how long the things you'll make will have an effect on what lathe you want. The longer the piece the more bed length you need.

Regards-Carlo

If you're in the New Jersey area I may have something fit the bill for a lathe. It's inexpensive enough that you can spend the reminder tooling it up for all your needs. I'd think a 10" or even a 9" should fit your needs also how long the things you'll make will have an effect on what lathe you want. The longer the piece the more bed length you need.

Regards-Carlo

I'm in central Connecticut, NJ is not a quick little drive and I'm assuming shipping a lathe here would cost a pretty penny. Thanks though!

Back