So, what do all of us here REALLY want... I'll tell you...

Ian Bee

Active User
Registered
... a kickass vacuum system that really cleans your mill and lathe!

Over the years, I have tried numerous systems, which include Venturi hoses, "Wet & Dry" vacuum canisters and all sorts, and they all simply clog up and fail.

Who here, has managed to build, or has some cool ideas as how we all can build the most ultimate swarf sucker in the universe?

We don't need bags to catch stuff, just a big weapon drum with perforated mesh or something, that we may empty every three months or so.

Anyone here got the knowledge on fan technology, and how they behave at certain speeds, as well as their vacuum - cavitation behaviours when confined in drums?

With all our skills, I'm sure we can possibly come up with a group effort to build the sucker from hell, which will always work, and not give us any grief.

Don't care how steampunk it will be, don't care how many belts and pulleys it will need, just want one!

Any takers...?

Cheers

Ian

Where I work we have quite a few compressed air vac heads on 55 gallon drums. The heads are not that expensive and work great. They could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. You can use them on anything wet or dry. The only requirement is a very good suction hose and a half way decent compressor. I have a 10 hp T 30 Ingersoll in my shop and I know it meets the specs for these vac heads.
When I go back into work next week I will get the name of them if you're interested. I have been planning to get one myself. I have never seen anything that works as good as these do and they are simple.
Vince

Exair Chip Vac.

They're pretty expensive but maybe you can build something similiar if you have sufficient air supply.

I have to agree with Vince. The kind that sit atop a 55 gal drum sucks big time. When the drum gets full just swap out for an empty one. I wish I had one at home.

I went with an Oneida Dust Deputy kit that I mounted to the top of a five gallon bucket, powered by a 4.5 hp wall mounted shop vac.

axd001004_md.jpg

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory...&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}

The low-end plastic model has been working great. If over time the plastic gets cut to shreds by the metal chips I'll "upgrade" to the metal "industrial" version but so far I've seen no need for it.

-Ron

I have been thinking about this since I finished my mill and usually get 5-10 slivers in me every time I clean it. Going to try a shop vac (have a big one) with an intermediate drum in the suction line and see how that works ... has to be better that hand sweeping

I did the same thing as Ron, though mine has not yet seen significant amounts of use. I purchased it for my future shop in the basement but have not gotten that far yet. I have tried out the Dust Deputy for a number of things and it works great.

Having tried vacuum cleaners, I will just stick to a brush and small dust pan. The vacuum cleaner option takes up way too much room and does a worse job than a brush IMO. I have tried ash vacumm systems on large wood working systems and they still don't work that well.

Paul.

I have to agree with Vince. The kind that sit atop a 55 gal drum sucks big time. When the drum gets full just swap out for an empty one. I wish I had one at home.
One thing yet; an air or vacuum powered chopper to pre - digest those balled or spiral chips - before they enter the hose........BLJHB

Back