So, what do all of us here REALLY want... I'll tell you...

I have the same Dust Deputy that Ron has for my sand blast cabinet, and it works excellent. I got it for $20 on Craigslist. I think they're only $40 or $50 brand new from the manufacturer. 95%+ of the dust (even extremely fine powder) ends up in the 5 gal bucket, and not in my shop vac. I don't use a filter in my blast cabinet vac. The vac draws through the Dust Deputy, then through the vac, and the outlet hose goes outside through the back wall of the shop. There is never more than a handful of grit in the shop vac when I check.

I don't really need it for vacuuming up metal chips though. My regular shop vac seems to work pretty well for that.

GG

Looks like the Exair vac is some sort of venturi device...of course all of the orifices and internal contours are precision engineered to provide the best suction, etc. but I bet it would be possible to put something together for a lot cheaper. The rest of the parts look readily available.

All that said, sometimes you just can't beat a broom and dustpan!

I'd like a sucker setup that can separate fine and coarse particles so I can dump the reusable coarse stuff back into my bead blasting cabinet, without constantly clogging up the filter with the fine dust.

We've got some big collection systems at work, but I don't think anyone has the capability of running 200 hp motors for one at home....

I use an older Craftsman shop vac. It is rated at 5.5 or 6 hp . It has a 2 1/2 inch diameter hose. It sucks up everything. Chips, oil , bolts. I use the large crevis tool, I think it is called , on the end of the hose. It keeps it from sucking too many chips at once and getting clogged. I put a plastic trash bag in the vac and just change it out when full. It works great and cleans up the machines and floor . I pick up the big gobs of chips , throw them in the trash can and then vacuum everything. It works great and makes clean up quick and easy. I'm not fond of Craftsman in particular, but their big "professional" shop vac is the only one I have found that has a lot of sucking power. And will do the job. I have tried a Stanley and a Rigid 5 hp ( so they say) vac and they did not work and can't compare to the craftsman one, plus they didn't use the big 2 1/2 inch hose.

They don't make this model anymore ( mine is over 20 years old) but they make one similar.

Unless you can bench press 500 lbs. or have a fork lift a 55 gallon drum is a bit large for a home shop vacuum. By the time it gets full you won't be able to move it much less put it in the back of a truck to transport it to a salvage or recycling yard. My original vacuum used a 30 gallon drum. Even that was more than I could lift or carry when it got full. I now use a 5 gallon size that can be easily carried by one person.

Several years ago I copied a vacuum attachment designed and built by a member on the Practical Machinist site. It holds the intake tube within an inch or so of the cutting tool, and keeps the table clean. I use it to keep the swarf off the floor so the dogs don't walk through it Mill Vac 1.jpg Mill Vac 2.jpg

Back