Socialize your dog

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Was out for a walk with my dog and the wife. my dog is very well socialized. I take him everywhere I can. And let him meet and greet all dogs. But I usually ask if we meet on the street, or outside a dog park. I am always amazed how many people don't know their own dogs, or who've never allowed their dogs to meet other dogs. Today, one that didn't know how her dog reacts to others so didn't want to meet Rex, and another who barked at me that her dog is not friendly, when it appeared the dog was friendly but the woman was NOT.

Your dog can't know what's accepted practice unless you let the dog have a chance. Sometimes there will be growling and barking, but if they are not attacking each other with teeth, they are communicating. They are letting each other know what they'll allow and not allowed.

While I'm not the dog whisperer, I do know a lot about dogs.. I like them better than most people. Enough said.

Last edited:
All of our dogs (5) have been lovers not fighters. We took them all to puppy socialization, obedience, and agility training classes. They loved to meet everyone and everything. They even liked cats.

The first cat they met belonged to a neighbor. He was raised with dogs. They got along and played together from the time our guys were puppies. From that experience they thought all cats liked dogs. Fortunately, every cat they met was a dog lover. Whenever I went over to a friend's house one of the girls would go along and play with the cats. One day I had a hard time finding her. After an extended search we found her in the garage sleeping in a pile with the cats. The only way we recognized she was there was that one cocker spaniel ear was sticking out of the pile.

Last edited:
Mine loves cats too. My son's cat is afraid of him, but he just wants to smell her, and I think he grew up with a cat (as well as the Rottweiler who was given up at the same time). Dog's are pack animals, and while you may be there pack, they still love to meet other dogs.

That’s a nice little PSA. It seems crazy to me that such basic knowledge still needs to be said.
Unfortunately, it really does. Although, it’s also easy to see how a dog could end up poorly socialized these days. Two working parents, ball practice, band lessons, etc. Everything competing for the same scant 4 hour window of “freedom” most folks have a day.
20+ years ago, I wanted to buy a pup myself. I can’t tell you how many folks are just terrible pet owners. I even met a few who were selling “papered” pups from obviously mix breed parentage, that didn’t even look like the breed they were “registered” as. I’ve had a few dogs stolen through the years as well. And I blame myself for that.
So anyways, here’s one more PSA :spay and neuter!
However great you think your dog is, there’s a billion of them out there just as great…and homeless. Your awesome pet doesn’t need any heirs.

This is a loaded topic for me.. a sorepoint as well. I also take my dog everywhere I can. He is always leashed and generally well behaved. For some reason people think it is their right or responsibility to allow their dog to run up and shove their nose into my dog! And they always tell me "oh, don't worry... he/she/it is "friendly"! A couple years ago we had a Irish Wolfhound on the property.. unbeknownst to us! The owner allows their dog to run around our property loose... it comes charging us and they're saying over and over.. OH, Don't worry.. he's friendly! My dog is leashed as always and I am hollering at the people to come get your dog! he has my dog running in circles around me until I am tangled and cannot really move - the Wolfhound stuck his face where he shouldn't and my dog grabbed theirs by the throat! That's when the owners noticed I was carrying a sidearm.. They kept saying how they like to walk on the farm and let the dog run free. I explained that you are on our property with no permission to be there and having your dog unleashed and allowing it to attack us is unacceptable! I wear a sidearm as there are many coyote / feral dog packs, I didn't shoot your dog because of your stupidity! Even at some stores, like home depot, folks bring their dogs but think everyone in the store needs to meet that animal! That is NOT socialization!! Please be respectful of others and their wishes! I do not want every dog coming over to meet me and my dog! We belong to a couple kennel clubs and we see enough dogs every week! I'll get off the soap box now.

My wife and I are "dog people", so we see a lot of stupid things like that. People who bring their reactive dogs to a dog park and then yell at everyone to keep their dogs away for example. My favorite though is the time we hosted a huge picnic for a dog group we were in, and I sat down next to a huge Great Pyrenees. I petted her a few times, no problem and then her owner looks over and says "Oh wow! I can't believe she's letting you do that, she HATES people!" :confused 3:. These are huge dogs, and if she had a problem with me it could have been serious. They were invited to not attend any future events.

My wife and I are "dog people", so we see a lot of stupid things like that. People who bring their reactive dogs to a dog park and then yell at everyone to keep their dogs away for example. My favorite though is the time we hosted a huge picnic for a dog group we were in, and I sat down next to a huge Great Pyrenees. I petted her a few times, no problem and then her owner looks over and says "Oh wow! I can't believe she's letting you do that, she HATES people!" :confused 3:. These are huge dogs, and if she had a problem with me it could have been serious. They were invited to not attend any future events.
it's the owner.
My avatar, Chase who passed years ago at 18, was playing with a dog at the persons house for 10 minutes. The owner finally came out to give me the stuff I came by for and nervously said oh no, my dogs not good with other dogs. Her dog immediately began attacking and had my dog by the neck . I wound up getting bitten badly. The reason the dog attacked, was clearly he could sense the fear in the woman. It was all the owner. 10 minutes of play, told me the dog was fine.

3 Shelties here . Friendly with pets and children but will try to herd them . Very protective of the premises . I know when the mail truck is 1/4 mile away , their alarms go off . :rolleyes:

3 Shelties here . Friendly with pets and children but will try to herd them . Very protective of the premises . I know when the mail truck is 1/4 mile away , their alarms go off . :rolleyes:
Our last 2 dogs loved the mail carrier. From time to time he would leave them treats. They would wait by the window for him to arrive. They could see the bag of Milk Bones sitting on the dash.

One day the older girl (Juliette) saw him coming to the door with a package. She calmly waited until I opened the door. Then she made a mad dash by me and the mailman to the truck. She sat up on her hind legs and waited for him to return to the truck and give her a treat.

They were best of friends for many years until he retired. We now have a lady mail carrier that was equally friendly with the girls.

Unfortunately both girls have passed. We keep getting questions about any future replacements. I think she liked them as much as we did.

Back