Soith Bend 13" Restoration

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I should have started this thread a little while ago, but better late than never.

I bought a 13" South Bend made in 1960 a year or so ago. The plan has always been to do a proper rebuild of the machine, including grinding the bed ways and scraping in the saddle, cross slide, compound, etc. and making any other necessary repairs. Plus, I want to paint it South Bend grey. I am planning to use Brad Jacob's Sherwin Williams formula.

SHERWIN-WILLIAMS.jpg

In any case, I am also publishing videos of the process on the YooToobs, if you want to follow along. Here are the first installments. I expect this is going to take many months to complete. I'm going to be outfitting it with a DRO as well.

Nice videos.
Thank you!
I recently purchased a 13x42 SB and am giving it a good clean up and making a few tweaks here and there on it.
This one is older than yours, 163264 so mid 1947. Has the stamp making it a Navy lathe.
I would have thought that by the 1960s SB would have gone to tapered roller bearings in the spindle and am surprised to see yours still using bushings. Did SB ever go to bearings in the headstock?
I mostly just scanned through your videos but enjoyed them. They are well done!
Plusses are: Clear camera work, clear, good voice work and great, informative commentary as you go along - by a guy who appears to know a lot about those machines.
I do have a couple of comments on the minus side too tho..
It was a little boring watching all the cleaning. I know it needs to be done and I appreciate your taking the time to do it as you go. Maybe delete or fast forward some of that?
Oh, and in my shop you would get an adjustable wrench Thrown at you if you used one to work on any of my machine tools :)
Great vids though. Thanks for taking the time to make them and both entertaining and educating us.

Back