South Bend 10x18- Value And Suitability?

Unless that lathe is clapped out, it is a good deal, possibly a very good deal depending on bearing and bed wear. If you can not feel a big ridge on the ways with your fingernail and it seems to operate smoothly I would jump fast and snag it.

nice find
michael

Sadly I missed out, received an email from the seller yesterday evening that it was sold. Guess I'll have to be a little quicker on my feet next time.

Sadly I missed out, received an email from the seller yesterday evening that it was sold. Guess I'll have to be a little quicker on my feet next time.

Don't be to quick, if you are going to buy any machine used, you need to inspect it carefully, for things like spindle and bed wear. if either is excessive, it can be expensive to fix.

If I'm not mistaken the single tumbler gear box heavy 10 also had a sliding gear for high and low range. This is how my h10 is. The double tumbler did not have that.
I believe that is correct.

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting to a thread like this, so hopefully I'm in the right spot. I am about to trade for my first lathe, but the guy wants $1500 for his south bend lathe. It's in the Oregon and I've read the NW machines fetch a higher price. I'm generally just a metal art and small project junky, so I don't need anything too fancy to learn on. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Iz

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting to a thread like this, so hopefully I'm in the right spot. I am about to trade for my first lathe, but the guy wants $1500 for his south bend lathe. It's in the Oregon and I've read the NW machines fetch a higher price. I'm generally just a metal art and small project junky, so I don't need anything too fancy to learn on. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Iz

I forgot to post my question....smh... Would you guys value it at $1500? Do you think this is a good beginner lathe?

Thanks,
Iz

I forgot to post my question....smh... Would you guys value it at $1500? Do you think this is a good beginner lathe?

The appraisal question pops-up quite often in this forum. Unfortunately, it's almost always impossible to give an intelligent answer and that's why at least one machinery forum has this rule about price:

"Without seeing a machine in person, there are too many unknowns. In addition, prices vary considerably by location, condition, age, ease of pick up or delivery, and so on. Your best option is to search for available sale prices, such as completed sales on eBay"

And that's for woodworking machines. Condition on metal working machines is even more important because you are working to such tighter tolerances.

Your best best is to go on Youtube and start watching mrpete222's videos. He has quite a few lathes and he's good at explaining how they work and why you would want this or that feature. Make a shopping list and then stick to it. For me, when I was lathe shopping, I decided I needed a QCGB, power crossfeed and a under-mount motor to save shop space. It also had to be small enough that I could handle it. After about a year of searching on Ebay and CL, I ended-up with a SB 10K and it's been working fine.

To answer your question anyway, around here that lathe (a SB 9C) would have trouble getting half that price.

First off- Happy Thanksgiving! Second, thank you for such a thorough response. I will add mrpetes222 to my subscription list on YouTube, and I will try and locate comparative pricing, but I'm not even sure what model it is. I'm still waiting on a response back with model and serial number. Again, thank you for your quick response.

Iz

I just saw you stated it was an SB 9C... Thank you, I'll run with that for comparative pricing.

Back