South Bend 11x54 For Beginner?

mariner3302

Registered
Registered
Hi, I'm new to machining but I like working with steel a lot. I want a lathe and there is one on craigslist about 200 miles away. https://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/5229518773.html I have tried to find out more info. I asked the owner the following:
"I haven't any experience with lathes (spelled NONE) but would like to learn. I have looked around and aside from the condition of a lathe I choose, it sounds like parts are hard to come by for the 11" swing models because they weren't produced as much as the 10's. I've spent some time reading different forums and such to try and figure out what to buy and what to avoid. Any comments on parts availability? With that question out of the way, what would you describe the condition of your lathe?
I don't have much in the way of explaining what I will use it for except to say I am a general tinkerer. I would like the ability to fashion and shape metal within reasonably tight tolerances.
Anything you can tell me would be helpful.. I'm not sure of what to ask and what to look for. Would you consider this lathe as one I could learn on and not have to upgrade to soon?"

The answer I got was:
"this lathe is in good shape, clean ways and good feed. the chuck is out about .003. once you have it in place and level you can true the chuck with a boring bar and a piece of brass round stock."

So my question to the collective is "what more do I ask"? I want to be able to thread and would like the lathe to do everything lathes can do. I really like the old iron and would rather have it vs the Asian copy's and don't have the money to drop on a new full size lathe. As asked in the above email, parts and wear are a concern but then there aren't many lathes available near me. I resisted the 'gotta have it NOW' urge. I'd really like a heavy ten but the price and the availability make that a long shot. This is the size of lathe I want. Not too small and not too big. Plus I have to be able to move it! I'm a retired Marine and pretty much self teaching myself. I looked into a course at the college but it takes about 2 years to get through the pre-requisites just to get into the course. It isn't what I don't know.. I can study and learn that. It is what I don't know that I don't know that I need to figure out. Well, anyway, any help would be good. I'm on a couple other forums and will post this there too.

The four jaw chuck can be dialed in ...The three jaw may have issues . That would be a fine lathe to learn on if the price is right, it will do anything you need to do and you won't out grow a SB. As long as the spindle is true and the ways are at least 1/2 way decent you will be fine. Anything else can be found or made for the lathe, they were made for long service. I've got a 14 1/2 and was warned on parts availability, there has been NO problem ....and you can improvise and overcome most if not all problems....If the price is right grab it IMHO Regards Rafe Oh I didn't see the price ....He who hesitates is lost ...the chucks,motor and taper are worth that .....

unless there is something very wrong with the lathe run over and get it. it has a quick change gear box which is good. the gear box is double tumbler which means it is post war. it has the threading dial so it is set up to cut threads. it has a taper attachment which is a big plus along with the steady rest and chucks. for that money you will have to look long and hard to bet that deal. i have a fellow I am teaching to run a lathe he would snap that one up in a heart beet.

as to size you can make small parts on a large lathe. but it is hard to make large parts on a small lathe. also the long bed is a plus. unless you go commercial that lathe could be the last you would ever need.

one test you can do is run the carriage all the way to the left [head stock] put a little tension on the carriage lock bolt. then run the carriage towards the tail stock and see if it gets tight a little snug is ok. I have run some lathes with bad bed wear and still did good work.

I got ahold of the owner and its still for sale!! He is a nice guy and we had a good chat. We will get a time arranged and I will go pick it up. I am so excited!!!! Now to figure out where to put it!

Great! Keep us posted as to when you get it. Ask any questions about setting it up ,maintenance,clean-up etc. I just started using mine and kept it oiled, since then I have changed oil ,felts repaired(replaced) the crossfeed screw and more ....Good books out there to read or get. Some may be on this site ! lots of great videos online. You will have some great U.S. Iron in your shop. As for where to put it. Hell,It'd look great in the living room ! Best of luck with it and Regards RafeView media item 74934 PS I think yours is a singular tumbler like mine which probably puts it in an earlier era, I wouldn't worry about that ! You can figure out the age after you have it ...Mines a 47

Last edited:
yes I looked at it closer it is a single tumbler. no big deal though it will still do good work. and for a beginner lathe you are not going to beat the price.

Like the others have said, for the price it will be a great beginner lathe to learn with.

go for it!
as a fellow 11" owner ,there are not many 11" parts out here :mad:

Back