Speaking of drill presses...

I got one of those Swede gear driven drill presses. Bought it at an auction years ago and used in my town shop. But since it’s three phase and I don’t have three phase at home, it just sits in the corner!

Bones

Get a VFD and get it operational…
Ok, I went to Amazon and saw the VFDs they range in price from around $84 to over $250. Will the cheap one work as good as the high dollar one? I do not need variable speed as this drill has a huge number of combo of gears for speeds as low as 100 to 2500 rpm , if I remember correctly! Any help appreciated!

Bones

Ok, I went to Amazon and saw the VFDs they range in price from around $84 to over $250. Will the cheap one work as good as the high dollar one? I do not need variable speed as this drill has a huge number of combo of gears for speeds as low as 100 to 2500 rpm , if I remember correctly! Any help appreciated!

Bones
Someone with more knowledge will chime in… but key is to get the one to supports the HP of the motor…

Yes! The $84 one says 3 horsepower, I think my press is half that! Just don’t want to spend money unnecessarily !

Bones

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 21
If you have switches built in that you would like to utilize it will require additional work besides just hooking the AC input to a VFD. If you just need to supply 3 phase to your machine I can definitely recommend these guys.

You will loose approximately 1/3 power but in practice that's rarely an issue. It'll keep you from having to do any internal wiring changes and if you decide to build a rotary phase converter down the line all you'll need is a 3 phase motor.

John

If you have switches built in that you would like to utilize it will require additional work besides just hooking the AC input to a VFD. If you just need to supply 3 phase to your machine I can definitely recommend these guys.

You will loose approximately 1/3 power but in practice that's rarely an issue. It'll keep you from having to do any internal wiring changes and if you decide to build a rotary phase converter down the line all you'll need is a 3 phase motor.

John
Thanks! I think that is what is on my Clausing lathe. I do have several big 3 phase motors.I was at one time planning on building a rotary converter, but like many of my projects, it got put on the back burner. I have a three horsepower single phase motor for my 17 inch LeBlond lathe.

Bones

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpeg
    IMG_1457.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 17
Awhile ago I bought the cheapest import VFD I could find on eBay, I think it was about $50. It worked fine. I imagine as long as the power rating is adequate for the motor, you'll be OK. You don't need much in the way of features for this application.

But the static phase converter is a good option too.

Back