Speed Handles for Milling Vises?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Do you use speed handles for your mill vise? I do & I love them. Not often do I have to use the original handle for high torque. My speed handle is more than sufficient for what I do. I only have a bench mill anyway (PM45).

GaryK (MHRIP) preferred to use the spoke type handle. I've always wanted to try one & they're inexpensive but I'm not sure I like the size of them.

I have a 5" vise so speed handles are next to impossible to find. No surprise as 5" vises (5/8" hex) aren't as popular. Plenty of speed handles for 6" vises though (3/4" hex). I leave mine on the vise most of the time.

What type do you guys use if you do? Are there other types?

Here's mine.

I have some listed in the classifieds (shameless plug)
Img_9379.jpg

Img_9390.jpg

I use an old 3/4" box end wrench cut off short enough that if I do something stupid like forget to take it off the drawbar and hit the switch it can't spin and hit the motor. I use an adapter and a 3/4 socket for my cordless drill too.

With the help of a friend with a bigger lathe and a press, I made a speed handle for my vise from an old ball type handle and 2 deep sockets. Looks unwieldy, but works nice! Ball handle was gifted from a forum member.

Forgot to add pic...

vise speed handle.jpg
Chuck

vise speed handle.jpg

Very nice Chuck! That is so familiar, IIRC there was a thread here about it, correct?

I think Todd, the friend that put it together, posted it here or maybe another forum.

Chuck

I used the original swivel handle on my last 4" mill vise and it worked ok but was a little "clunky" having around. I let the mill vise go with the lathe/mill when I sold it.

I recently ordered a Glacern 5" mill vise, the same as Darkzero, and bought the speed handle for my GMT 5" vise from him. I have not had a chance to use it yet as I am still waiting for my mill to show up but it looks like a nice quality handle for a good price. I can't wait to use it.

Mike.

Mine is 9/16" (if I recall) so I made one too. But I prefer the spoke style.

13357214604_5c64767c3e_b(1).jpg

The weight at the outside seems to facilitate a speedy movement of the jaw. Nothing but a bolt head, some scrap and a socket from ACE.

-Ryan

13357214604_5c64767c3e_b(1).jpg

Boy do I feel silly... Kinda like showing-up at a gun fight with a knife in your hand...

Anyhow, here's my trusty speed crank -all of 2" long. Nice thing about it, is that it clears the table when the vise is positioned in-line with the table and not hanging off the edge. Keep meaning to make a couple more but haven't gotten around to it.

SpeedCrank.JPG

Ray

SpeedCrank.JPG

Very nice Ryan, great job!

Pretty cool Ray, I like the small size. Looks like you can spin it even faster than mine. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, did you cut a hex or is it just a square opening? How did you machine that opening if it was not with a broach? I've been wanting to try machinging square openings & broaches, haven't tried it yet.

I use the pictured handle and I think it’s great. It has nice weight/mass to it so I can spin it if so desired. You can’t do that with the original Kurt handle. Can’t exactly remember how the handle found its way into my shop? But I do remember having the hex hole wire EDM’d.
handle.JPG

handle.JPG

Back