Sprocket Puller

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i got a call from a company that tried to fix it themselves first...☺

to give some background,
the customer has a completely locked up 10Hp Baldor Motor, ( the picture was taken after i removed the offending sprocket)

IMG_5181.jpg
the motor used in an industrial meat grinder (the motor is valued in excess of $3,000 by the manufacturer + 2 weeks lead time)

in other words, he wanted this fixed yesterday and was not ready to wait 2 weeks to start producing grind again- an emergency, on his part.
in desperation he shot himself in the foot by removing only one of the set screws and breaking the other , then trying to use an in sufficient puller to attempt removal of a really stuck sprocket

there was a #35-4 Chain sprocket rusted to the motor shaft

due to the fragile nature of the sprocket and the level of oxidation between the shaft and sprocket, i decided to construct a heavy duty puller

thankfully, i have lots of materials around the shop to make things from.
after searching for a few minutes i came across a 4.24"OD x 3/4" long slug of aluminum bronze, a 3/4"x 10tpi x 4-1/2" bolt, a 5" OD x 2" Long slug of unknownium , some 3/8" all-thread and nuts, washers, and a short piece of 12L14 to make a sacrificial center nosepiece.
all the makings for a formidable puller.

i first chucked up the slug of aluminum bronze in the Victor2040,
faced and drilled the center to 1-1/8" (the largest drill i have), and then bored the center to 1-1/4".
i lightly trepanned a groove to use for the spacing the all-thread pillars.
i faced the slug to have a 1/8" protrusion in the center (to pull on the center of the sprocket, not the outer edges)
i laid out the 3 points for the pillar placements and drilled and tapped for 3/8"-16 tpi
i took an angle grinder and roughly cut a 1" slot in the slug, then slotted to 1-1/4" on the Bridgeport Mill
i installed the 3/8" x6" long pillars and went to the next step...

IMG_5175.jpg

the next step was to shuck up the 5" chunk of unknownium, face both sides and drill the center to 21/32", tap to 3/4"-10tpi
i again trepanned a groove (to match the groove in the aluminum bronze) and drilled oversize clearance holes
i took a grade 5 3/4"10tpi x4-1/2' long bolt and faced the threaded end, drilled to 5/16"
i made a sacrificial 60° center out of some 5/8" 12L14 and turned one end to .310" , to be inserted into the 3/4" bolt as a revolving center.

IMG_5176.jpg IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5178.jpg

then, i assembled the puller and i used it to remove the very stuck sprocket.
i attempted extraction of the broken hardened set screw, but it kept eating my small carbide endmills.
i decided that heat, penetrating fluid, and brute force was going to have to prevail.
even though i had to leave the broken set screw in place, the puller overcame the resistance like a champion!!!

IMG_5173.jpg IMG_5179.jpg
but i though it wasn't done until i skimmed the OD of the 5" unknownium

IMG_5187.jpg

Here is the offending sprocket, previously damaged by the customer...

IMG_5174.jpg IMG_5180.jpg

after removing the sprocket i was able to disassemble the motor, swap out the bearings, smack on a new sprocket and restore operation.

the customer was ecstatic that i was able to fix his blunder-it wasn't cheap for him, but it put him back in business- fast

as always thanks for reading!

Production downtime is always several multiples of shop rate. They really don't care what you charge as long as you get them running. I also found that the call to tell them that the part was ready was the perfect opportunity to request payment on any past due invoices, if such there be.

Here is the offending sprocket, previously damaged by the customer...
Good fix (and use of materials on hand).

Most manufacturers of any size have spares for critical equipment or go-to local suppliers who can provide fast (typically one day or less) delivery, even in these times. The fact that this particular company didn’t have this option in place indicates that it is a small operation and makes me feel better (marginally) about the crud built up on the sprocket teeth in the drivetrain of food processing equipment. Having worked 40 years in the food industry I have seen a lot of things that shouldn’t be, and this was one of them.

Fortunately, the sprocket is not in a food contact zone. It is located in a semi sealed box below the extrusion zone.
The crud is dried grease, the customer insists on using (for the application ND30WT oil is sufficient)

Surprising they used #35 chain (essentially mini-bike chain) rather than something a bit beefier
You can see the sprocket is worn out from the shape of the teeth- reminds me of that Eagles song "take it to the limit"

Fortunately, the sprocket is not in a food contact zone. It is located in a semi sealed box below the extrusion zone.
The crud is dried grease, the customer insists on using (for the application ND30WT oil is sufficient)
I know it’s not in the product contact zone, which is why the motor isn’t washdown rated (looks to be TENV). However, if they allow these critical drive components to get into this condition, how much attention to they give to other things.

Is the grease food grade? Even if it’s not “likely” to get into product it still needs to be food grade.

I know it’s not in the product contact zone, which is why the motor isn’t washdown rated (looks to be TENV). However, if they allow these critical drive components to get into this condition, how much attention to they give to other things.

Is the grease food grade? Even if it’s not “likely” to get into product it still needs to be food grade.
These guys do the very minimum to keep in operation
I’m sure there is little consideration as to what type of lubricant is being used.

I know I didn’t mention it before, but I would never put anything in my mouth that came from the customer I did the work for.
You would be shocked and appalled if you knew what i see

Back