Spur Gear DP Question

Neo

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys
I am having trouble learning about spur gears for a project.
I require a gear set of 112 teeth and 14 teeth and I can redesign my entire project around the gear set- In metric modules they are expensive at $1000 AUD (including 8 of the smaller gear) but I have noticed that 64 DP 112 Tooth gears start at $10 each but I cannot find a 64DP 14 Teeth gear, surely it is possible because it can be done in metric, is there something I am missing? Will a smaller DP still mesh with the 64DP 112 Tooth gear? Or does anyone know where I can buy 64DP 14 Teeth gears?
Cheers for your time.

Both gears would have to be the same diametral pitch to mesh.

I believe the gear you are wanting would be about 1/4" diameter (not leaving much room for a shaft unless it is integral to the shaft)

Using gears with tooth count that small isn't really good practice even though it can be done. You're much better off using a compound reduction setup if you're space constrained and need high reduction.

A fantastic primer can be found here:

I believe the gear you are wanting would be about 1/4" diameter (not leaving much room for a shaft unless it is integral to the shaft)
Yeah it's all good, it doesn't have to transfer torque, it only has to translate it to rotation so not have much room for a shaft is fine. Cheers.

Using gears with tooth count that small isn't really good practice even though it can be done. You're much better off using a compound reduction setup if you're space constrained and need high reduction.

A fantastic primer can be found here:

Thanks for your input, however I am trying to minimize the amount of moving parts in my machine. my first model had over 88 moving parts, 20 years later I have gotten it down to 9 moving parts with much greater efficiency and output.... at least on paper : )

I don't know what you are working on but will say the ratio is 8 to one for which there are many other
gear choices to get the same ratio. Depending on the application, it might be easier to go with bigger
gears(lower numbered DP) if that happens to be feasible as well as some other tooth combination
that is readily available.

Back