Sqeeeeeeky Eclipse Permanent Magnet Surface Grinder Chuck

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just acquired a small Eclipse AX74 Permanent magnet chuck for a small Sanford surface grinder. Despite not being a modern, close-layered chuck, it has great holding power!

My issue is the force it takes to engage it. It still makes a big sqeeeeeek as I actuate it every time. It is not impossible, although it felt like it first, but I have worked it in a bit. I poured a bunch of Kroil into the actuating socket, hoping some of it would just get where it needs to go.

Anyone know how to loosen things up in there? Should I just fill the whole darn thing with oil or kroil?
Am I missing likely places where lube is supposed to be added? There are two tiny flat-head set screws on the back, but currently not possible to remove (and currently soaking in Kroil as well). Pics below.

Thanks folks!

Bernie

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429750892.294473.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429750955.091097.jpg

Bernie

Magnetic chucks are susceptible to being drenched in coolant. I've never heard of anyone cleaning the insides of one, but I can certainly imagine that the insides become filled with dried (gummy) coolant and might need some sort of cleansing. I'd try to find my way inside and clean it out.

Hi Bernie,

I'd almost want to soak it submerged it something. Kroil may be cost prohibitive in large quantities; my "go to" penetrating oil is homemade with 50% automotive ATF and 50% acetone. It's fairly cheap and it's so thin it will get in almost anywhere.

Another thought, if it's totally impossible to open, is to immerse it in a stiff walled container with a lid and apply a vacuum to the "air-space" above it. I've not done it, but it _should_ help the penetrating fluid to re-fill any formerly inaccessible space once the vacuum is removed.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

-brino

edit: BTW, resist any urge to tap it with a hammer, it may help loosen it, but it's bad for permanent magnets......

I think it just mikght be better to live with the squeak than to risk filling the chuck up with some fluid that might harden over time,or do something else that eventually ruins the chuck.

Turn the radio up loader so you can’t hear the squeak. Back in the day when I could not afford a decent car, all I got where rattle traps. I just turned the radio up so I couldn’t hear all the rattling.:)

You guys are blowing me away with some of this advise!
I should probably clarify, the noise doesn't bug me, but is a side-effect of the force I need to operate the chuck. It sounds AND FEELS like you are trying to twist a wooden broom handle into something too small... Know that one? Maybe it will just eventually loosen up?

-KD4- ridiculous as it sounds, I FORGOT to go online to Eclipse! I will surely will scour their site.
-Brino- ATF and acetone?? Awesome! I'll try it on something else first and may try it in there! Either way, great concoction
-George- thanks- I bet gunk inside is EXACTLY the problem I am having right now

Luckily I have no compunction to hit it with a hammer. I felt a little brave turning the Allen key as hard as I did the first time when I realized it wasn't moving inside. But I'm glad I did, because it is getting better.

Thanks so much, and I'll either post my progress or post for more help soon!

Bernie

Bernie

-Brino- ATF and acetone?? Awesome! I'll try it on something else first and may try it in there! Either way, great concoction

I mixed up some and I was amazed at how well it worked. I didn't have any ATF on the shelf but I did have some Marvel Mystery Oil and used that. I have used it to free a number of stuck parts and lube up a small fan motor that had sticky bearings.

Would you guys ever ever ever lightly grind the grinder table, where the chuck goes before placing the chuck? It isn't perfectly smooth, although I'm not sure if there are any high spots or if there are just dips (which are not bad?)
I'd really like to restore this little grinder to be as accurate as possible

Thanks for your time

Bernie

Bernie

You could, it really wouldn't hurt anything for it to be flat. There may be a time that you would want to remove the chuck and attach the work directly to the table. When you grind in the chuck, it will be square to the table in any case.

Back