Stock Diameter For Knurling Tools

...we need to start with a known starting OD. Then we take the knurl to full depth and theoretically we should have the final OD we need.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess that makes sense. If it tracks before you start to form the knurls. It should track as you start deepening them.
--
Rex

Tracking is a given. In the instance where a specific diameter is called for, such as a knurled end to a stud that fits in a hole of known diameter, the pull out resistance requires a knurl with a specific fit. We can get that fit if we start with a known diameter and know what kind of knurls we need. I don't do this often but when I do, I calculate.

I used to make thousands of contacts made from some kind of material called Magnifier 50 which I assume was good at passing a magnetic field for contact these were a straight knurl (more like a spline) and as I recall the OD was held to .002 it was sized for a press fit in another assembly. This was on a swiss style lathe using a single wheel I always had to calculate the pitch and run the tool to that diameter or it just wouldn't track right. We also knurled 96 inch aluminum bars for the back of a hook and ladder truck for these we used a Dorian 3 wheel "ring" type tool which had a lever to open and close it, the pitch didn't need to be figured because the material was much softer and if a little too tight it would make a real sharp knurl and actually shave of the excess material. Had to use coolant with both.

Back