Suggestions For An Arc Welder For Up To 1/2" Steel?

E350

Registered
Registered
I think of myself as primarily a "grinder" on my way hoping to become a "welder."
I have a wire feed machine, but for structural projects on 1/2" steel such as farm implements, building a trailer, and the like, I wonder if using an ARC welder would be appropriate.

If so, what are the differences between arc welders?
Any good recommendations for an arc welder for up to 1/2" steel?

For heavy work I have my Miller big 40 gas powered rig which is handy for doing work on a large property. It is 400 amp capable and you can run some seriously large rod should the need arise. It also has a generator function for running grinders, etc. whether you go portable or stationary I would look for something 250 amp and up, and DC capable. Mike
CIMG0013.JPG CIMG0014.JPG

+ 1 on the d.c.
I have a lincoln tombstone that is dc/ac capable.
When welding 1/2" or bigger cut a shallow bevel, wire brush, weld a bead, repeat.
If you have questions post them here, someone will know how to answer them.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

D/C+ is definitely the way to go.
However, depending on funding, a used A/C buzz box can be found on CL for $50.
Pick up some 6013 and have fun, 6013 is easy to weld with quick results.
Pick up some leather gloves, helmet, and a chipping hammer and your welding for $100.
Depending on how much practice you do you will likely quickly outgrow the capabilities of A/C and 6013.
But, it is an inexpensive way to get started while producing good results.
Be careful not to start out on critical or safety related welds and always use the appropriate PPE.

Daryl
MN

OK, in doing some research I came across this which seems to explain why DC+ is important:

"One way to look at the polarity issue is by the welding rods that are available to you. 6010 runs DC+ only. 6011, which is similar to 6010 (forceful arc, deep penetration, light slag) runs best on AC, but runs all right DC+. 6012 runs best DC-, not good at all DC+. 7018 runs DC+ up to about 300 amps, better on AC above that. 6013 runs well either AC or DC+ for general welding, but was developed for high speed sheet metal work on DC-. And so forth.

What's important is matching the electrode (rod) to the job first, then running it on its best polarity after that. You would rarely match the polarity to the job first, and the rod to the polarity second---with two main exceptions: If you are having a problem with arc blow (the arc wanders off course because of the magnetic field caused by the location of the ground, or some other magnetic field disturbance) which you can't resolve by moving the ground clamp, you can turn to AC, which is not subject to arc blow. The other situation where polarity would be a primary consideration is when you know you need more of the heat in the work than in the rod. DC- provides 2/3 of the heat to the work, DC+ provides 2/3 of the heat to the electrode, and AC is 50/50. 6012 and 6013 electrodes were both originally developed for high speed sheet metal work on DC-, so that would be an example of a time to choose that polarity. I don't do much sheet metal work with stick, high speed or any other way, so I couldn't say. I do know that 6012 running DC- is unusually good at filling gaps in bad fitups, but 6010 is good for that too, and there's not as much slag to entrap with 6010.

DC is generally considered to strike an arc easier and stay lit better than AC, but if any electrode strikes easier or stays lit better than 6013 running AC (or DC, to be fair) I haven't run across it.

There are some real differences between the three polarities in stick welding, but they're not so profound that an inexperienced operator would even necessarily notice them. If your son gets to the point where he can tell just when to use one polarity rather than another, or even just how high to set the current, before he's burned ten thousand sticks, then he's got a real gift and maybe he should look into something that pays better."

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=toolt&th=176652%3E

So what is a good, hopefully used, Arc welder with the three polarity modes?

chuck: "Page Not Found" So what would be the product in the current lineup?

Fomo, jp, uglydog and chuck: Inherently I am skeptical of "combo" machines of any type - they are usually weaker in each task than a machine dedictated to a single task.

BUT I DON'T KNOW IF MY SKEPTICISM SHOULD APPLY TO WELDERS OR NOT?

If I shouldn't be afraid of a combo welder machine, what about a tig/stick/plasma machine? It looks like I need to learn to deep arc and I would also like to learn how to tig, and no doubt I could find uses for a plasma cutter...

Fomo, jp, uglydog and chuck: Thanks for your continued help.

I have a wire feed machine, but for structural projects on 1/2" steel such as farm implements, building a trailer, and the like, I wonder if using an ARC welder would be appropriate.

With the correct wire your wire welder will do all of these aforementioned projects. Dragging a wire welder around a trailer can be problematic, you will spend more time positioning the welder than welding. On the other hand, with stick welding, use long leads and never move the welder. The leads are light and flexible and very easy to put in position for welding.

I have dc welders and ac welders. Either would work for your listed application. Ignore arc blow concerns as I doubt you will ever come across it at the amperages required to weld 1/2 inch steel.

The advantage of dc stick welding is the ability to use the 6010 rod. It is the only rod that has the shielding necessary to do open root welds. The lincoln 6010 5p rods are very nice and out perform all other 6010 rods. Not all 6010 rods are listed for open root welding.!!! The lincoln series of rods, even the rods for consumers in the little card board packages , outperform most all other rods.The hobart rods, washington wire rods and all other welding supply house brands are crap in comparison.

I have never met a xx18 series rod, 7018, that won't run on ac, don't pay extra for ac7018 rods. 7018 rods do not relight well. Only use them if needed. The xx18 series rod lower the preheat requirement on thick steels by 100 degrees farenheit. That is one of their primary uses. High strength low allow steels have specific requirments and there are many xx18 rods designed specifically for them, I doubt you will need them as standard 7018's handle these steels when they are under a 1/2 inch.

The lincoln ac 225 welder, available anywhere, is a very nice welder, it runs the lincoln consumer rods like nobody's business. A very nice welder for home use. The only downside to it, that can be easily remedied, is its short leads. Around the Dallas area they cost about $100 on craigslist.
chuck

Back