Surface Plate Height

GT-6 Racer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Building a welded 2x2 tube stand for my latest score. A 24x36x6" pink Starrett plate. Since measuring mostly small parts I'm thinking about a pretty tall stand. I'd like to use the space under to mount a US General 27x22 tool cabinet to utilize the space and store my metrology bits. I need to stop by harbor Freight and see what the cabinet measures without the wheels but I'm thinking minim height with the cabinet under there without the wheels will be something like 46" to the top of the plate. Think this is too high?

For working on small things I built a bench that was 42” high. It kept me standing upright; much easier on the back. My bench for working on large RC airplanes is almost 39” high.

Mine is on top of a fixed cabinet with drawers.
The cabinet top is about 53 inches above the floor making the surface about 56 inches.
So far that has been a great working height for me.

Also I have an LED shop light directly above that makes any measurement process easier.

Brian

Thanks for all the comments guys

The standard height for a surface plate is 36”. If you’re only working on small parts a little higher might be acceptable. I don’t think I would want to lift a 50 lb. Part to 53” to inspect it.

Again, assuming small parts, it really depends on your height. Don't be afraid to stick it up pretty high, as long as it's comfortable for your height. I get what @projectnut is saying, but I don't think I've ever had anything larger than a few pounds on my surface plate.

GsT

Thanks for all the great replies. I agree. I'm too old for 50 lb lifts too high. Got a platform lift for that. :) does 750 lbs with some cranking.
Stopped by harbor freight and measured and worked out the dimensions. Looks like 45" to top of plate. Artist's rendering below.
2" steel tube 14ga wall. US general 27" box represented by the red cube.

1713484942774.png

Here is what my Husky boxes looked like with my welding table, It measures 39" from the floor to the top. Husky has some smaller boxes too.

My welding table uses 2 of these boxes back to back. The boxes measure about 30 inches high not counting the wood tops which I removed.

Attachments

• 20180107_151708.jpg
    20180107_151708.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20211001_162937.jpg
    20211001_162937.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 10
Here is what my Husky boxes looked like with my welding table, It measures 39" from the floor to the top. Husky has some smaller boxes too.

My welding table uses 2 of these boxes back to back. The boxes measure about 30 inches high not counting the wood tops which I removed.
Have to go check those out... 5" shorter is interesting.

Back