Switch wiring on Rong Fu RF30/31 milling machines

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I thought I would post this here in case anyone else was replacing their switch and came across the same issues I had. I fried the switch on my RF-30/31 and bought a replacement that was labeled differently than the old one. I got help from another member here (@markba633csi ) on connecting it.

I could not find any references to the new switch anywhere, even though it is EXACTLY the same part number and manufacturer.

The post is here (see post 50): https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/rong-fu-rf-31-rf31-drum-switch-motor-wiring.90416/page-5

Here is the connections from post 50. Please note that your switch could be totally different. My "adventures" started on post 34, but the whole thread is worth a read.
1 --- U (motor 1)
5 --- V (motor 4)
9 --- 5 (motor 6)
2 --- R (power 220v)
4 --- S (power 220v)
Add jumper wire from 8 to 10

Before you plug it in/fire it up, check across the power plug prongs with the switch in the off position
Should be no continuity- then in both forward and reverse you should see a few ohms resistance (of motor windings)
If you see a dead short nearly 0 ohms there's a wiring error- check wiring.

If this proves useful, please let us all know. Perhaps it could be a sticky thread?

Be sure not to forget to mention the switch internal diagram (truth table) since that's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak

Post #47 has the truth table for the switch. If yours matches this one, then the connections above will work.

Back