Taig lathe motor

cannonmakerken

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The motor on my new Taig lathe is kind of wimpy. Is there a stronger motor I can use on the Taig lathe, that won't break the bank.Also can you use the Sherline 3 jaw chuck on the Taig lathe?

I can't answer the chuck question but there are many small motors available you could use- take a look in the Grainger catalog for example
You want either a capacitor start or a permanent split cap type, also there are brushless motor packages available on Ebay
DC brush type motors are another option which are fairly easy to speed control
All of those have good starting and running torque
I'm guessing you want something around 1/4 to 1/6 horsepower?
-Mark

Last edited:
I literally just bought a Taig and it has a 1/4 hp motor.

Yes you can use a Sherline chuck on the Taig lathe. I have the Sherline 3" 3-jaw chuck on my Taig. I'm very pleased with it.
There is a difference in installation. With the Sherline chuck, the threads will bottom out on the spindle nose before the registration surfaces contact. So you need to add an adapter spacer, which is just a big washer. Little Machine Shop sells this adapter as part # E09-43-1914. Or if you want to make your own, I can provide dimensions.

John

OK thanks for the reply guys. Yes John I'll take the dimensions for the adaptor washer

The motor on my new Taig lathe is kind of wimpy. Is there a stronger motor I can use on the Taig lathe, that won't break the bank.Also can you use the Sherline 3 jaw chuck on the Taig lathe?
I use a treadmill motor on my Taig Lathe. I bought it used. Sometimes you can get them for free. It is DC driven, variable speed and reverse-able The treadmill motor is controlled by an MC 60 controller. It has plenty of power. There is a lot of information on using treadmill motors this way.

Back