Tap Size for M5 Steel Bolts

I grew up imperial system. I started using metric in my work. It is now my preferred system. Units of ten in everything. Lineal & volumetric easily converted. Threading: nominal size minus the pitch gives tap drill size. Learn to think in it instead of trying to convert. 50 years ago this country almost went metric. Stupid politicians stopped it. The origin of the 2 liter plastic Coke bottles.
Decimal inches work just like the metric system. Just the base units are different.

Decimal inches work just like the metric system. Just the base units are different.
OK, how many gallons in a cube 1.33 X 2.45 X 5.75".
If those were centimeters any grade school kid (in Germany) could tell you how many liters there were.

OK, how many gallons in a cube 1.33 X 2.45 X 5.75".
If those were centimeters any grade school kid (in Germany) could tell you how many liters there were.
You might notice I said decimal inches. I didn't say anything about converting to gallons or litres

Imperial measurements still work just fine here, so far as I can see.

You are probably benefitting a bit by the bolt effectively making a "rolled" thread. Could work adequately, just depends on the application.

Never thought USA use metric, Canada yes its all metric but in my age and the time I need to use Imperial/metric I better stick to Imperial.

I grew up imperial system. I started using metric in my work. It is now my preferred system. Units of ten in everything. Lineal & volumetric easily converted. Threading: nominal size minus the pitch gives tap drill size. Learn to think in it instead of trying to convert. 50 years ago this country almost went metric. Stupid politicians stopped it. The origin of the 2 liter plastic Coke bottles.

There are 2 types of countries:

1. Those that use the metric system.

2. Those that have put a man on the moon.

Back