Tapers on 7x16 Lathe?

That machinist's hammer with a long tapered handled was one of my first project with my 7x16 mini lathe, the handle was about 10" long , I followed This Old Tony's video, he explains it all thoroughly , you do need a boring head and a couple of 3/8" steel balls if I recall correctly, it wasn't that hard to do once I knew how to do it:

Second the not touching the tail stock once you have it aligned: unless you have added set screws to help with the alignment procedure it is a pain. eBay has a number of variations on what you found on Amazon without the graduations and/or hand wheel, but $100 is probably worth it to save the effort of re-alignment.
That arrived from India, a bit cosmetically dinged but fully functional After disassembly and removing a pile of grit and filings, it's pretty smooth.

Alas, I realized it had a full MT2 taper arbor but my 7x16 tailstock has a short MT2 taper quill. I was going to cut it down but realized I had a 2nd tailstock assembly w/o a spindle DRO. It turns out if I take the crank wheel and screw shaft out, there's room for a full-length MT2 arbor tool. I can still lock the quill and tailstock, just not extend the quill, but it's fine to use for the Taper-Turning Attachment.

It seems I'd have to mount the tool horizontally aligned to get the proper taper offset. Fortunately, the tool's top surface is parallel with the tailstock top surface when properly aligned, so I was able set a flat bar on top of the tailstock to use in guiding the toll during mounting. So far, things just seem to be working out! The test will be when chips fly...

Back