Tapping 304 Ss Help

You get what you pay for with Guhring. Wait till you try one of their Drill bits.

"Billy G"
That just makes me want to buy a few of my commonly used drill sizes from them.....the need for more tools never ends!

Took delivery of my Guhring tap today......I'm blown away! This is the first time I've used a quality tap. I hardly had to apply any force. It just seemed to cut the threads in this 304 like a hot knife thru butter! Needless to say, I will be buying more quality taps like this. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!
Glad to hear it, most are scared away by the prices however as you say it is well worth the cost.

If you have many parts to make power tap them otherwise it will take a good deal of time.

Glad to hear it, most are scared away by the prices however as you say it is well worth the cost.

If you have many parts to make power tap them otherwise it will take a good deal of time.

I will be power tapping most of the holes. I have built a nice game plan and steps to produce many of the same parts in a quick (for me) manner. A one man assembly line if you will. Once all the parts are ready, they will be tapped one after another. Under power of course!

And after noticing the difference for myself, the money was well spent on this tap. Even if I were to hardly use it, it just makes tapping so much better!

I will be power tapping most of the holes. I have built a nice game plan and steps to produce many of the same parts in a quick (for me) manner. A one man assembly line if you will. Once all the parts are ready, they will be tapped one after another. Under power of course!

And after noticing the difference for myself, the money was well spent on this tap. Even if I were to hardly use it, it just makes tapping so much better!
Excellent, the difference between consumer tooling and industrial tooling is vast is it not? This also applies to turning/milling tools as well, buying the least costly tool may not be the best approach.

Good Luck

Excellent, the difference between consumer tooling and industrial tooling is vast is it not? This also applies to turning/milling tools as well, buying the least costly tool may not be the best approach.

Good Luck
Agreed, it is. Just this experience alone makes me want to invest money in higher quality tools where I have sort of skipped before. Within justification of course. Except my "justification threshold" price range just increased a wee bit!:encourage:

Very happy to hear you got things to work for you!

I don't recall which forum member uses an image of "The A Team" for his avatar. But if he's reading this thread, he's probably saying to himself, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Late edit - Just figgered out ... that's Ulma Doctor!

Last edited:
Sorry to keep this thread going. I just wanted to post this picture. It's the Guhring Power Tap Gold Ring 5740 series in action tapping a M12x1.25 blind hole in 304 ss.

I did this one by hand so I can stop and take the picture showing chip evacuation. It's so beautiful! I have several more to do, but under power. Even by hand, there is very little effort required. It's almost like cheating for a hobby machinist.....20170114_135436.jpg

Edit: as you can probably tell, I'm blown away by this!

As said many times. People need to see and understand what they see. There is no good reason to end this thread. Sometimes without aforethought you become the teacher. Keep up the good work.

"Billy G"

Back